Is verbal agreement for job offer final?

loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I have received a verbal job offer over the phone today. Out of excitement I had agreed on a start date, and HR person said they'll e-mail me an offer letter tomorrow. I then realized that I may get another job offer from a different employer in the next few business days and that my current employer might come up with a counter offer of their own.

Is it still ok to notify HR that I need some time to think about my options once I receive an offer letter, even though I verbally agreed on a start date with the company?

Comments

• volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    loss4words wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I have received a verbal job offer over the phone today. Out of excitement I had agreed on a start date, and HR person said they'll e-mail me an offer letter tomorrow. I then realized that I may get another job offer from a different employer in the next few business days and that my current employer might come up with a counter offer of their own.

Is it still ok to notify HR that I need some time to think about my options once I receive an offer letter, even though I verbally agreed on a start date with the company?

Do WHATEVER you want, señor :]

First:
    You have Signed NOTHING.
    So, technically, you dont even have the job.

Second:
    Even if you DID sign something.....
    You can STILL call them up, and say that you CHANGED your Mind.

Third:
    You could even START the new Job.... work it for 2 weeks... and STILL march into HR and tell them that you have CHANGED your Mind.

Always Look out for Numero Uno.
  • loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haha thanks a lot volfkhat!

I didn't know that! I thought once you signed something you're legally binded to work there. I feel better now :)
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    loss4words wrote: »
    Haha thanks a lot volfkhat!

I didn't know that! I thought once you signed something you're legally binded to work there. I feel better now :)

Well, signing a "contract" has contractual obligations.
    It all just depends.
    for instance, don't sign Anything at military recruitment agency! (without an attorney)

But for a typical job... whatever.
    At-will employment goes Both ways.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it is not in writing you have nothing. I was once told verbally my entire NOC department was being outsourced to India but I was staying onboard. The next day they told me i was being laid off.

The employer even told me I had nothing in writing..... pretty f**ed up but lesson learned.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A lesson for the future is to not even verbally accept anything immediately. Review the offer once received and make your decision based on the options you have in hand. If you are going to counter, around 3 days of "reviewing time" is good to wait until you submit a counter offer...and then maybe another day or two to review any re-counter offers by the company. In total, you probably have about a week to be reasonable on an offer to either accept or reject based on how you feel and the options you have.

If for some reason you accept an offer, and then end up rejecting it because something else comes along before you start...you have burnt that bridge, so you have to be careful.
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Totally agree with TechGuru. You can certainly take a few days and review the offer, but you also need to be mindful that companies are impatient too. Notify them once you get the letter that you are going to look it over for a few days and will have your decision as soon as possible. It can buy you some time to wait for the other offer and then you can make your choice. Always be sure you are doing your research on both companies. Reading anything negative about an organization can be an instant turnoff to many applicants. Check their financial situation and make sure they aren't someone who can be acquired from a larger company. I only say that because a friend of mine took a job with a great company with great pay and 2 months later they were acquired and his position was axed shortly after that.