Is Messer enough?

BrandonT2610BrandonT2610 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I have a fairly large physical background as a cable tech and data center tech. Do you think i can watch these videos, take notes on them, look over his notes and practice test my way to a pass? I have a large study guide as well, however id much prefer the video series. Is there anything he really doesn't cover well?

Comments

• BrandonT2610BrandonT2610 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ill add that ill be looking over the notes at the top of this Sub forum as well. There appears to be some good info up there.
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The good Professor has some awesome notes so I would definitely purchase those. His videos are also good but when I took Net+ they weren't enough. And from what I'm hearing Net+ has only become more difficult. I'd keep that study guide handy if for nothing else but looking up the topics Messer covers in more depth.
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Short answer - no. You have to really understand the details of each topic.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Go through each objective listed on the Network+ and make sure you know all there is to know about that subject and you should be fine.

https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/exam-objectives/comptia-network-(n10-006)_examobjectives.pdf
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Short answer - no. You have to really understand the details of each topic.
    Agreed. Professor Messer is great, but I don't think you'll pass if you only use his videos. Even Professor Messer suggests you use multiple resources to study.
    Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.
  • IdRatherNotIdRatherNot Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed my Net+ for the first time last month and I will tell you, will do well if you understand your concepts and objectives. What Messer does revolves more around educating you on the objectives and what they are used for but not how they are troubleshooted or how they behave in a certain situation. Basically know your sh*t inside and out and don't rely on Messer completely (although what he does is a godsend). But in reality it also takes good test-taking skill to pass. I suggest answering all questions as fast as you can to the best of your knowledge then coming back and reviewing each one. That's just me though. Cheers.
  • lloris_20lloris_20 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yup. Review questions after answer them once.

I watched messer but it bored me. I m more of a book person.

I also used transcender practise tests which helped me to know what kind of questions to expect in exam.
  • KylegamingKylegaming Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    U cannot pass the test unless u know the objectives
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    shochan wrote: »
    Go through each objective listed on the Network+ and make sure you know all there is to know about that subject and you should be fine.

https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/exam-objectives/comptia-network-(n10-006)_examobjectives.pdf

HOLY CRAP
    I have not looked at objectives for this since 2010. SO MUCH has changed. I feel everyone's pain now.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Cisco Infero, the test is no joke I scored a 669 on it a month ago and taking it again on Friday. I find the Transcender to be useless in fact it has had a negative impact on my ability to take the test.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    I personally found transcender okay but I heard good things about measure up and boson.

For books, I recommend Kevin Wallace's Network+ study book published by Pearson. It goes in depth than Mike Meyer's book.
  • BrandonT2610BrandonT2610 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kylegaming wrote: »
    U cannot pass the test unless u know the objectives

You don't say?

Half way through the Myers book as well. Its pretty painful. Hopefully with the book, videos, forum, and prac exams i can get it done.
  • lloris_20lloris_20 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nisseki wrote: »
    I personally found transcender okay but I heard good things about measure up and boson.

For books, I recommend Kevin Wallace's Network+ study book published by Pearson. It goes in depth than Mike Meyer's book.

Transcender helped me a lot to pass.

The practice questions are similar to what one can expect in the real exam. makes it easier to think that way.
  • rbates621rbates621 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes. I read most of the Meyers Network+ book, watched the Messer videos as well as took some free practice exams online. I also have experience in the field with commercial network installations.