Sybex practice tests as a gauge

infosec144infosec144 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm in the final stages of reviewing for my exam and am wondering how everyone feels about the Sybex exams. I am currently using the online test engine and based on the results I have been able to narrow down my weak areas, or so I think. I'm curious how well these practices exams actually gauge ones readiness. I realize there may be better ones out there but this is currently what I have to work with. With the clock ticking down to go time I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

Comments

• leothebestleothebest Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The format of the practice exam questions are pretty close to what you will see on the exam. However the questions on the practice exams are not the questions you will be asked. in regards to using it as a gauge for readiness. I would say when you start getting consistent 80% or higher results on the practice test you understand the domains enough to sit for the exam.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I found the Sybex practice exams to be excellent for CISSP.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not at the point yet of needing practice tests for the CISSP. I have the Sybex test engine from purchasing of the official guide. What other test sites are recommended for this exam? I kinda wish Darril Gibson had a website for this exam; I used his extensively for my Security+ and I liked the format.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• infosec144infosec144 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've also used the CCCure exams and so far have done about 1200 questions. To me, they seemed too easy but still helpful. I began taking practice exams through the Sybex test engine as of last Friday and so far have run through all off the domain exams @ 100 questions each. For 5 out of the 8 domains I've been scoring 80-85% the other were slightly lower but not failing ~75%. I've gone back and reviewed my lower scoring domains and took one of the 250 questions exams today through the Sybex engine and scored an 80%, it likely could have been higher but I need to remember that ALL of the questions need to be read before choosing one. All together I've gone through about 2500 questions with an average of 80%. I'm 3 days out from the exam (Saturday) and am saving the second 250 question test for Thursday or early Friday.
  • bob9383bob9383 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Content aside, Sari Green's videos (the 6 hour course specifically) shows the actual format of the questions best. IIRC, Sybex only shows multiple choice questions at least in the online version.
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After reading the Sybex book and answering all the chapter questions, I tested with their online questions for 2 weeks prior to me sitting for the exam. When I started getting above 80% I knew I was ready. I would still go back to understand every question that I missed. If their explanation didn't make the reasoning click in my mind, I would go back to the book for clarity (rarely did this b/c most explanations are clear). Their online test engine was the only practice questions I used and I passed. I think you'll do well. Good luck!
  • nnethinnethi Registered Users Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for sharing your views
  • safernandezsafernandez Member Posts: 15 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CryptoQue wrote: »
    After reading the Sybex book and answering all the chapter questions, I tested with their online questions for 2 weeks prior to me sitting for the exam. When I started getting above 80% I knew I was ready. I would still go back to understand every question that I missed. If their explanation didn't make the reasoning click in my mind, I would go back to the book for clarity (rarely did this b/c most explanations are clear). Their online test engine was the only practice questions I used and I passed. I think you'll do well. Good luck!

CryptoQue Do you use the Practice Test Book? How many Questions they have? Thanks!
  • mritorto2mritorto2 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    do another course like casp or the python class or the ceh class to be safe
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    safernandez I didn't use the practice test book...only used the Sybex Study Guide, Sybex online test engine, and the 11th Hour book (for last minute refresher before I sat for the exam).
  • safernandezsafernandez Member Posts: 15 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CryptoQue wrote: »
    safernandez I didn't use the practice test book...only used the Sybex Study Guide, Sybex online test engine, and the 11th Hour book (for last minute refresher before I sat for the exam).

Thank you! If I am reading the guide and using the questions of it. Leave me alone, that you refer to those questions and answers. I think buying the practice book, I'll be well prepared.
  • mritorto2mritorto2 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i am using they sybex practice questions book. I like it so far tons of questions 100 per domain and I think a comphrensive exam.

I have only done 3 domains so far. I plan to kick in gear next week
  • forestgumpforestgump Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    Since you must have done the exam by now, how well you can answer your own original question (Sybex practice tests as a gauge)? I am also going through the Sybex practice exams and achieving in the 80% range. It will be much appreciated if you can give your opinion.
    Thanks.
  • bluznvicebluznvice Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IMO, if you're consistently scoring over 80% on the Sybex practice tests, and the freepracticetests.org tests, AND understanding why you missed what you missed, you're ready for the test.