Contract Re-negotiations

dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
If I have 1 year contract. How soon before my contract ends should one negotiate with Employer to either renew or go perm? or when would be a good time to have that conversation?

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would start asking about perm transfer between six and nine months. If they say no to perm, then at the nine month point I would start asking about contract renewal. You need time to find another job if the contract won't be renewed and you definitely won't want to wait until the end of the contract to figure that out.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for your feedback.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    I would start asking about perm transfer between six and nine months. If they say no to perm, then at the nine month point I would start asking about contract renewal. You need time to find another job if the contract won't be renewed and you definitely won't want to wait until the end of the contract to figure that out.

+1, That's assuming the area you want to find something else in has abundant opportunities. If the pickings are slim, you may want to get at it closer to 6 months than 9. Are you wanting perm, or to stack the cash from the contract?
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    I would also look to keep track of your achievements and maybe try to arrange more deliverables just before the 9 month mark so you can go to them with a reminder of what you have actually done for them - that reminder is often enough to swing the deal so long as you have been outstanding of course.
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    Okay, here's what you do. Grab a 12 gauge shotgun and walk into your boss's office. Sit down all calmly and say, "I'm here to get a permanent job, and you are going to give it to me, okay?"

lol

But seriously, the nine month mark is usually when you start the process of renewal or transition out. At six months, keep an eye out for any indications they want you to stick around, and let them know you are interested, but don't really start to do anything proactive until the last quarter of your contract. If you are a good employee, they'll happily talk with you. If not, at least you have a head start on looking for a new job.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Okay, here's what you do. Grab a 12 gauge shotgun and walk into your boss's office. Sit down all calmly and say, "I'm here to get a permanent job, and you are going to give it to me, okay?"

This reminds me of Barry White's contract negotiations! Except he placed a .357 Magnum revolver on the table. Either way, winning!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I want to go on permanently thats my goal.