Entry level jobs

EmphasisxEmphasisx Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Anyone know of where to get an entry level job in NYC? Graduated from WGU two years ago, got my A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Win 7&8, and wasted a year at a job where I just plug computers in. I get complimented on my resume and interviews go well. We laugh, I answer the technical questions correctly, even tell them I don't care about the pay I just want the damn experience which they seem to like and then I either never hear from them again or very rarely I get that email that says they went with someone with more experience. And that's my problem, I always lose to the guy with experience. It's like everyone forgot what it's like to start out in IT and just refuses to let anyone in.

I tried Geek Squad but I always get rejected. Maybe I'm over qualified? I applied to Micro Center and I'm waiting to hear back. Recruiters are hit and miss. Some get me interviews, others I never hear from again. I check craigslist, indeed and monster every day and apply to what I think I would be a good fit for. I took a non technical job at a hospital because the IT manager said he would be watching us and seeing where he can place us. Said he understood we were trying to get experience. Rarely saw him and he offered us nothing. Everyone just seems fake. There's no work at my job during the summer (I work in schools), and I won't be able to pay bills or get food. I want my own house, car, and debts paid off. I busted my ass to make it happen just for these hiring managers to tell me "NO!". I'm seriously depressed. If anyone knows of any place where I can apply in NYC please tell me.

Also, I always see Windows server, exchange, active directory, Microsoft office, office 365 and ticketing software as requirements for help desk positions. Any ideas of how I can maybe build a lab that simulates a corporate environment with all of that? Maybe I can build it and put it in my resume? Idk I'm down to try anything.

Comments

• zeitgeist29zeitgeist29 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you checked indeed.com? I just did a quick search for you and there are a TON of positions available. Here's just one of what I found: Network Systems Support Tech – Cloud (Junior to Mid Level) | Bowman Williams

I would guess you were over qualified for geeksquad. Do you have very much hands on experience? You should be able to find something on indeed if not multiple opportunities.
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In Pennsylvania having the same problems.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • EmphasisxEmphasisx Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I said I search craigslist, indeed, and monster every day. That job is not entry level. I barely have any hands on experience because no one will give me a chance. Apparently a degree and multiple certifications only qualify me to plug computers in.
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    HR complains about unfilled positions then goes out and posts "3-5 years experience needed" for a true entry level job.

They don't believe in apprenticeship or any real "entry-level" positions. They want a rock star for the price of a dog.

Don't feel bad about it. It isn't your fault. Just keep trying, you'll find something.
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    HR complains about unfilled positions then goes out and posts "3-5 years experience needed" for a true entry level job.

They don't believe in apprenticeship or any real "entry-level" positions. They want a rock star for the price of a dog.

Don't feel bad about it. It isn't your fault. Just keep trying, you'll find something.

I Agree 100% ........truth right there.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Emphasisx wrote: »
    That job is not entry level. I barely have any hands on experience because no one will give me a chance. Apparently a degree and multiple certifications only qualify me to plug computers in.
    I am curious what makes you say that the job isn't entry-level. I read the description and it's about as entry-level as it gets. Did you apply for it?
    The part saying more than one year (preferably 4!) of experience and the fact that they expect the candidate to already have a very broad base of knowledge.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The part saying more than one year (preferably 4!) of experience and the fact that they expect the candidate to already have a very broad base of knowledge.

Are we looking at the same job description - no where do I see that. It says "the ideal candidate.." that means it's a wish. It also says "should have.." Not "must have".

I write a lot of job descriptions and I usually expect candidates to be able to understand the difference between words and phases like "must", "should", "require", "desirable", "ideal", "knowledge of".
    Entry level - Know everything, have 3 degrees 19 certifications and code +5 years of experience also $12 an hour.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
    I assure you that most of the candidates know the difference between each word. However, they also know that "should have" translates into "you should at least have" very quickly. Don't blame candidates for assuming your "should have" is different than every other HR who writes "should have" expecting "don't waste my time unless."

HR people are mostly tech idiots; that's a common joke in the field. That's why certs like the CEH keeps getting customers. It isn't their fault, I.T. not their field.

The OP's first post reiterates my assertion.

Honestly, I wish IT managers would make it known if they were the ones posting the job and conducting the interview, so entry-level guys knew which places would give them a chance and which ones are just looking to check off boxes.

What job titles are you searching just out of curiosity? That job is pretty much entry level. Are you not going to apply? Who gives a shi what they ask for if youve match some qualifications. You seem to be a pretty good fit IMO. Just apply to anything that you would like to do. All they can do is ignore you and so what. That job pays 45-65k. I get your frustration, i got laid off 10 months ago and cant get hired at burger king or what i was doing previously in insurance, which is why im trying to get my CCENT/CCNA and all that good stuff. You would rather ***** and moan about an "ideal candidate" that you constructed in your head rather than apply, which is stupid given you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. How about this, write a cover letter, tweak your resume and apply and if you get hired you can thank us later. Youre welcome.
  • Ryan9764Ryan9764 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Same here in KC. After I got my bachelor's degree, I applied to like 40 jobs and nothing. I never heard from most of them. I got couple emails saying they found somebody else. On a good note, VA paying for my tech school that get me my A+, ccent, and security+. So..Hopefully after I get my certs,I can find a job.
    What job titles are you searching just out of curiosity? That job is pretty much entry level. Are you not going to apply? Who gives a shi what they ask for if youve match some qualifications. You seem to be a pretty good fit IMO. Just apply to anything that you would like to do. All they can do is ignore you and so what. That job pays 45-65k. I get your frustration, i got laid off 10 months ago and cant get hired at burger king or what i was doing previously in insurance, which is why im trying to get my CCENT/CCNA and all that good stuff. You would rather ***** and moan about an "ideal candidate" that you constructed in your head rather than apply, which is stupid given you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. How about this, write a cover letter, tweak your resume and apply and if you get hired you can thank us later. Youre welcome.

I know I said it's not entry level but I still applied. They had some stuff that did say entry level which I also applied to. Thanks for the link.
    Cool, I'm glad you did. I really hope you get it and they pay you 58k and youre life changes in the most positive way.

Here's another one:
    https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/470571100
    Since you're already A+ certified and have other certs that would help it may be worth a shot to apply. That website has a few other good jobs for entry level as well.

Good luck with everything. Dont get down about struggling to find a job, just keep grinding and you'll get something.
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in NYC. Had same experience after I got my network plus. CCNA definitely got me better job offers. Here's what you should do, instead of only searching on indeed, post on indeed too. Post your resume and you'll get flooded with entry level job offers.
    I'm in NYC. Had same experience after I got my network plus. CCNA definitely got me better job offers. Here's what you should do, instead of only searching on indeed, post on indeed too. Post your resume and you'll get flooded with entry level job offers.

I have my resume posted on indeed, monster, dice, careerbuilder, and I have linkedin. I was going to go for the RHCSA but I might do CCNA first.
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm working on RHCSA now. I would get CCNA because of the high overlap with network plus.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Emphasisx wrote: »
    Anyone know of where to get an entry level job in NYC? Graduated from WGU two years ago, got my A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Win 7&8, and wasted a year at a job where I just plug computers in. I get complimented on my resume and interviews go well. We laugh, I answer the technical questions correctly, even tell them I don't care about the pay I just want the damn experience which they seem to like and then I either never hear from them again or very rarely I get that email that says they went with someone with more experience. And that's my problem, I always lose to the guy with experience. It's like everyone forgot what it's like to start out in IT and just refuses to let anyone in.

I tried Geek Squad but I always get rejected. Maybe I'm over qualified? I applied to Micro Center and I'm waiting to hear back. Recruiters are hit and miss. Some get me interviews, others I never hear from again. I check craigslist, indeed and monster every day and apply to what I think I would be a good fit for. I took a non technical job at a hospital because the IT manager said he would be watching us and seeing where he can place us. Said he understood we were trying to get experience. Rarely saw him and he offered us nothing. Everyone just seems fake. There's no work at my job during the summer (I work in schools), and I won't be able to pay bills or get food. I want my own house, car, and debts paid off. I busted my ass to make it happen just for these hiring managers to tell me "NO!". I'm seriously depressed. If anyone knows of any place where I can apply in NYC please tell me.

Also, I always see Windows server, exchange, active directory, Microsoft office, office 365 and ticketing software as requirements for help desk positions. Any ideas of how I can maybe build a lab that simulates a corporate environment with all of that? Maybe I can build it and put it in my resume? Idk I'm down to try anything.

It took me 3 years to land my first IT job.

Can you pick up a IT volunteer gig during the summer?

When you go to the interviews that recruiters send you to, ask them to see if they can get you feed back from the hiring manager.

At least this way you can improve on your interviewing skills.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have that kind of solid education behind you the good news is that a lot of employers are willing to hire you and train you especially since you're looking for an entry level position. The one place I believe you could use some help is in your job search, and I'm betting in your resume too. I've commented on a couple of your lines

I check craigslist, indeed and monster every day and apply to what I think I would be a good fit.

Your job search has to be more focused so you're landing jobs that are more likely to offer you a position. Post your resume on DICE.com, a site which strictly focuses on IT jobs. Also post a resume in CareerBuilder.com, as well as Monster.com (which you have already done). Be sure that in the objective section of your resume you put "Seeking an entry level position in IT as a Helpdesk tech, IT Technician, Computer technician, e.t.c. This way hiring managers are recruiters will quickly get that you're seeking a job with no experience.

For your job search at Dice.com, and CareerBuilder.com:
    If you have time go through all the positions listed close to your zip code. Some position titles also accept entry level folks and will indicate this in the job description although the title might not say so. However, if you do not have time just use "entry level" as a keyword for those two sites, focus on the state of NY and it will show you all the entry level jobs there.

You do have experience !!!, just not real experience

This is a mistake I caught one of my buddies making. I graduated with him from UT however on his resume he had omitted all the labs we had completed on networking, and application support. Be sure on your resume you have a section called "Experience from College/Labs". You would want to list all the hands-on labs you all completed (e.g. Installation of Windows operating system on a PC, or upgrading memory on a PC, or connecting multiple computers to a network, e.t.c) It will surprise you this is the same tasks you will be doing if working for a real company.

Did you actually get certifications from Microsoft, and CompTIA in MCSA, Security+, A+ as you listed or did you complete the training and get a certificate of completion for MCSA, Security+, and A+ training? There is a big, big, difference! You have to properly determine that as well, it could be a reason you might be getting rejected as I've come across a few folks who think both are the same thing.

Does WGU have a career search website? Use it

Once students graduate from whatever college they tend to forget that employers specifically go to those colleges begging for candidates with no experience. Be sure you're using WGUs job search portal as most if not all the positions posted there will be for graduating students with no experience.

sites like CBTnuggets.com, Lynda.com, e.t.c have courses in A+ certification, Network+, e.t.c where they specifically instruct you on hands-on labs. Get a free account with these sites then search for "Exchange", "Office 365", e.t.c. You will see courses ending in "...fundamentals" or "...for beginners". Start with those. After the trial period you would have to pay the monthly subscription fees though to keep using the site, but giving that they will help you land jobs that pay your rent they are worth it. Also, before I forget, use YouTube to get 100% free training on the same thing.

I believe if you follow these suggestions you should have a much higher chance of finding a job, unless there are other factors that are not IT or education related.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
    Checkout Teksystems.com as well. I have less experience than you and just applied to 4-6 jobs that were entry level in my area. I'm sure the NYC area would have plenty more.
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You want a house, car and debts paid off living in a city that has one of the highest COL in the world? Good luck with that...

My advice? Go down to your local military recruiters office and get some info on IT jobs in the military and serve your country. I know it sounds a bit out there, but the DoD is always looking for IT folks. You can even shoot for officer candidate school since you have a degree. Endless amount of training and you can have a solid resume later on that will turn some heads.

Just my .02...
    What's the best place to find DOD jobs?????
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What's the best place to find DOD jobs?????

The way I did it when I landed a DOD job was to web search for top 50 or top largest or similar DOD contractors. Then I bookmarked all the big guys--Booz Allen Hamilton, General Dynamic, Leidos, etc. and searched the career section of each and every one on a routine basis. This won't get you the recruiters though, like TekSystems, Apex, Mantech, etc. That's a slightly separate search.

My armchair estimate is that 75% of them require a clearance and many will do it for you, but not until you have the Security+. This usually being the minimal cert to achieve that.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    Cool thanks, had a security clearance in the military.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    How long ago was that? If you have a secret, it lasts for 10 years. Put that on your resume (at the end).
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IMO meetups.com can be very helpful for finding the local IT landscape.
    Thanks everyone. I guess people are hiring now because my phone has been blowing up the past few days. Hopefully I get something soon.
    Oh so mine is good until 2018? I had a sensitive tech related job.
    Good news everyone! I got hired as a Helpsesk technician. The pay is **** but I found the rare person in IT who values learning potential. I'm going to be trained on everything. It's my first time having my own desk which is pretty cool. Boss is super cool too, treats everyone like family. Gonna learn as much as I can and finish my CCNA.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Congrats!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....