For the life of me I can't do certifications unless I directly work with the tech

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
For some reason I just can't gain the energy or strength to certify in something I have very little if any knowledge in. I totally get certifying to learn in a structured format, but I just can't do it. In fact I have to be pretty damn good at the technology already before I even attempt to certify in that particular subject.

How do you handle it?

For instance I moved into new environment and have been working with a new database technology, but until I get true hands on for a sustained period of time I just can't get the motivation to start to study. Anyone else run in to this? Getting out ahead of the technology makes a lot of sense, but something internal is saying no.

It's not laziness either, I am always labbing at home with technologies I have extensive experience with.

Comments

• tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Same way and it kills me. I went from a top notch job to a low end job and have no motivation. Don't understand it
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a hard time with it as well. I barely do any InfoSec stuff at work but I'm still working towards the certifications and knowledge and trying to create work for myself so I can gain InfoSec experience.

I was working on the RHCSA and CWNA but I'm not gonna use that knowledge unless I get a job using that information. So now I gotta work on getting Linux into the work environment.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm relieved to hear I am not the only one who is like this.

Don't get me wrong I am super stoked about working with this new database technology and eventually will at least get the professional level certification if I stay with this technology / job long enough. But it would be nice to actually start to learn the features before I am full bore into the technology.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tmtex wrote: »
    Same way and it kills me. I went from a top notch job to a low end job and have no motivation. Don't understand it

What happened for you to come up in that situation? Are you able to get back to the higher level position? Do you even want too?
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For some reason I just can't gain the energy or strength to certify in something I have very little if any knowledge in. I totally get certifying to learn in a structured format, but I just can't do it. In fact I have to be pretty damn good at the technology already before I even attempt to certify in that particular subject.

How do you handle it?

Honestly for me .. my mindset for the first few certifications was pure anger. Having a masters such as yourself and no certs drove me to quickly collect a few to "catch up" to other employees. I'm much calmer now. icon_cool.gif
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For some reason I just can't gain the energy or strength to certify in something I have very little if any knowledge in.
    Well, yeah.... That's how tests work. :P
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    But it would be nice to actually start to learn the features before I am full bore into the technology.

I did some tinkering about 2 years ago in SSMS just doing small queries as part of my job. Anything i needed help with I would ask the dba's that were working remotely 200 miles away. Their queries were clean and efficient. Whereas mine were messy. I got a $10 course from Udemy the other day for 70-461 which you have already passed and hearing the instructor explain why you should never do certain things or how to create sufficient queries makes so much more sense now, things i though were some complex objects like views for example, once they were explained in a short video made me feel silly for thinking that way before. Navigating around SSMS is getting even simpler, where before I was afraid I'd break something. The instructor is making one point very clearly. Do not get intimidated and on that I will add my point, if you just learn the basics of the technology, the software you are using or the tools your are using, your retention knowledge will increase and you will see faster and easier adjustment for the complex items. When you start think of learning something new that will benefit you for the job, not something that you HAVE to certify in, no need to put such a pressure in yourself. Start slow and build on it, then once you have the basic foundation knowledge you will be in certify mode. I have approached all my certs the same way.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everyone learns differently. Some people can just force themselves, others have a very solid interest in learning the material already so they look forward to digging in. I doubt there is any real specific way of bypassing it for everyone. I'm always extra impressed when someone comes from something 100% unrelated and immerses themselves so much into something totally new and is successful in it coming in blind.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same problem. Trying to learn python and ansibile for automating the network. Brain hurts, feels bad man.
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One thing that works for me is to read a book and get a general understanding of concepts. After that get yourself a decent sized white board and pretend you are teaching the material to someone else. Draw out diagrams, make bullet points, etc...take that knowledge and apply it to the board. This is a great way for visual learners like myself to absorb knowledge better without getting bored just reading through pages and zoning out.
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Trying to do RHCSA now. Never been at a job that uses Linux. The first run-through of the videos was mind numbing, but it at least gave me exposure. Now the 2nd time through it is making sense... a little.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think what you are describing is the majority of people. Most people who do a cert from a purely academic perspective with no practical knowledge will not get very far. There are a few people who do - we call those people "bullsh!t artists." They tend to not linger in a job role that requires the application of background experience, because most of what they have is just the piece of paper that says they're certified.
    Entry-level is a litttle different, because a lot of times there are few alternatives to getting a low-level cert to show your knowledge of a specific thing. But certs that take a few weeks are no substitute for a full degree that shows more discipline & planning.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is why you lab up an environment.
    Your lab will shrink, grow, and change depending on the certification you seek.
    The RHCSA and RHCE are practical. Follow directly as the outline of the exam and you will be fine.

Infosec is more difficult as it has different sub topics like Pen Testing, Forensics, and Incident Handling. This is where having a lab, going to CTF's and workshops will help with a foundational knowledge.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Problem is it's near impossible to find a job where you get to use 100% of the topics in a day to day basis.

But it helps if you already do the work. Also, Lab based certs all the way, nothing's more brain numbing that those endless theoretical topics certs.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What happened for you to come up in that situation? Are you able to get back to the higher level position? Do you even want too?
    I went from the top to low due to lay off, got a job that barely gets me by as far as $. I hate it, seriously hate it. Hostile place, cant get out and gave up. The one plus is I can do what I want and the BOSS showed me how and will do it for me to **** on my time sheet. (Long story). I was management before, he landed it by being in the right place at the right time and has now clue what he is doing. Anyway long story.
    Not my style of a place
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tmtex wrote: »
    I went from the top to low due to lay off, got a job that barely gets me by as far as $. I hate it, seriously hate it. Hostile place, cant get out and gave up. The one plus is I can do what I want and the BOSS showed me how and will do it for me to **** on my time sheet. (Long story). I was management before, he landed it by being in the right place at the right time and has now clue what he is doing. Anyway long story.
    Not my style of a place

I would be very careful if doing things like that, cheating on a timesheet is comsidered grounds for termination. I'm sure if you start looking you will get something better.