CCIE Written

linuxabuserlinuxabuser Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Passed my Route/Switch written exam today! Now onto lab studying.

My advice to you: don't get caught up in "learning" by reading a bunch of books. Get the test blueprint and study those topics and nothing but those topics. Want to dive deep into TCP operations? Sure, me too. Except, that ain't on the test. Stick to the plan, and you will have a good shot at passing.

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!!! When are you aiming for the lab?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • lostsollostsol Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • linuxabuserlinuxabuser Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. Aiming for the end of November for the lab attempt in RTP.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wait, so what happened to the huuuuge reading list people used to recommend that went super deep into TCP/IP?

Also, I saw a new Narbik CCNP->CCIE book. Have you checked that out?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    That huge reading list contains some excellent information. However, 99.9% of it is not relevant to passing the exam. Should you read these books immediately after passing? Absolutely, but don't study from them.
  • davidb1davidb1 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Linuxabuser,

Congrats on passing your CCIE written. I have a couple of questions. I am currently reading CCIE Routing TCP/IP Vol I and II. Would these two books suffice to pass my CCIE written exam? Regarding example test questions, what did you use? I am answering the questions behind the book; however, I would like to take more practice exams and I'm not talking about ****.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! This is why I am reading TCP/IP books now. I don't have the time / focus for IE just yet icon_surprised.gif
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    davidb1 wrote: »
    Linuxabuser,

Congrats on passing your CCIE written. I have a couple of questions. I am currently reading CCIE Routing TCP/IP Vol I and II. Would these two books suffice to pass my CCIE written exam?

Not by a long shot. The Boson ExMax sim was a big help.
    Linuxabuser,

Can you let us know what books you read to pass the CCIE written?
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'm curious what material you used if not books to study the blueprint? Maybe a good list?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    What say you Iristheangel?
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Opps. Posted from my phone and it mangled the mesasged. Fixed it :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□

Also, I saw a new Narbik CCNP->CCIE book. Have you checked that out?

I'm not even going for the CCIE R&S and I want to read this book. I've heard Narbik is an excellent instructor, so you probably can't go wrong
    If TCP/IP books Vov I and II will not suffice to pass the CCIE exam. What other books do you need to pass the exam?
  • ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    davidb1 wrote: »
    If TCP/IP books Vov I and II will not suffice to pass the CCIE exam. What other books do you need to pass the exam?

I would highly recommend reviewing the blueprint. Note that many, many of the topics are not covered by those books. You will need other books. You will need to read config guides off the Cisco web site. You will need to study RFCs. This is the CCIE written. You shouldn't expect to pass by reading two books. Again, read the blueprint.
    Thank you very much
  • nagica22nagica22 Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dear gents,

what is the best materials to clear CCIE written exam.

Thanks in advance.
    Project Engieer,
    Certification: ITIL, CCNA R&S, CCNP Route
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats That is quite an achievement. All the best on your lab studies.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Mr.NetworkMr.Network Member Posts: 117
    Congrats!
    I was wondering how is the written exam, is there a lot of explanation writing to each questions? and after how long time do you get the results?
    CCNA R&S, MCSA.
  • EricsLearningEricsLearning Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The written is multiple choice.
  • Mr.NetworkMr.Network Member Posts: 117
    hmm, ok, do you know why it is called written?
    CCNA R&S, MCSA.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Because it's the first part of a two-part exam. The written and the lab. It could have become known as "the computer-based" or the "another-stupid-trivia-question" exam but "written" was shorter.