Options

Passed CASP now on to CISSP - Please Advise

letapragasletapragas Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone. So I passed the CASP a 6 weeks ago and took a break from studying but now I want to jump into the CISSP. I know a few of y'all have the CISSP and CASP and was just looking for some advice on the similarities and differences between the two exams.

Most people who have taken both exams say that the CASP is by far a lot harder but they say the CISSP is a different kind of monster since it's less technical and more broad. Other then the CISSP being a longer endurance exam (250Questions/300min vs 90q/165min) are the questions worded similarly and are they looking for the same type of answers? Because my history of taking CompTIA tests has shown me that they love to ask weird questions looking for specific answers.

Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CASP is technical, CISSP is not.

The End.
  • Options
    letapragasletapragas Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I'm going to try to do a live update on my studying. My strategy is:

1. Quickly watch ITPro.tv video lectures (27hrs 35min) without taking detailed/any notes.
    2. Transcender Practice Tests
    3. Cybrary.it video lectures (13hrs) again without taking detailed/any notes
    4. O'Reilly CISSP video Training (54hrs) taking detailed notes (free 10 day trial)
    http://shop.oreilly.com/category/learning-path/cissp-certification-domains-1-4.do
    http://shop.oreilly.com/category/learning-path/cissp-certification-domains-5-8.do

5. Flash cards and practice tests
    6. Review Official Study Guide
    7. Take Test

Today I covered the entire Security and Risk Management section 5hrs of ITPro.tv which covered:
    Security Governance
    Compliance
    Code of Ethics
    Business Continuity
    Personnel Security
    Risk Management I, II, III
    Threat Modeling
    Acquisition Risk Strategy

Holy crap I feel that the CASP really prepared me for this because it was so much more in-depth. I know ITPro.tv doesn't go in enough depth but there was literally nothing new. I hope its not giving me false confidence but I really think that I can take this test in a few months. Thought that my September deadline goal was a little premature but now I'm more confident since the CASP prepared me.
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    gatorredsoxgatorredsox Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Best 3 study materials in my opinion that helped me pass. (5 months studying).
    1. ITPro TV Adam Gordon CISSP Course 10/10 Watched all the videos twice and took lots of notes.
    2. Cybrary CISSP Course 10/10, watched this twice and took lots of notes and read thru all the slides. Also downloaded and listened to mp3's.
    3. Eric Conrad’s CISSP Study Guide 3rd edition 10/10 #1 Book choice by far.
  • Options
    Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if you can pass CASP you will pass CISSP easily, CISSP=longer CEH exam
  • Options
    nodd214yetnodd214yet Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CASP is much more technical, correct? I passed the CASP exam, but I feel like I'll need quite a while to prepare for the CISSP exam. I'm giving myself until mid-2019 to sit on my CISSP exam. I'm sure that is more than enough time, but life gets in the way!
  • Options
    Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nodd214yet wrote: »
    CASP is much more technical, correct? I passed the CASP exam, but I feel like I'll need quite a while to prepare for the CISSP exam. I'm giving myself until mid-2019 to sit on my CISSP exam. I'm sure that is more than enough time, but life gets in the way!

lots of overlap between the two, is a different mindset of being technical and resisting the urge to fix anything. I thought it was a much longer CEH exam, as long as you know your key terms and concepts your good to go
  • Options
    PersianImmortalPersianImmortal Member Posts: 124 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Very interesting! I'm on the same path, I'm jumping from CASP to CISSP, and hope to take my exam in October. All of the material I've looked over for CISSP seem to be a review from studying for the CASP. It's actually a bit worrying because I don't think I'm studying as hard as I should, but every time I look at a new chapter or topic, I end up skimming through it because I know most of the advanced concepts already.
  • Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm also working on my CISSP, but decided to take a longer path (as I'm planning to sit for CISM first). The reason being when I was doing my research, I found in some of the materials that "you have to think like a manager" which I'm currently having difficulties with or lacking.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]