Options

SSCP or CSA+

mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi, this upcoming week I will be taking a bootcamp to finalize my studies for Sec+ and will take my test next Saturday. I am trying to also take another cert soon after that would be a easy transition in regards to study material. Do you think the SSCP OR CSA+ would be easier to transition into?

I've mostly just worked in Tech Support.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SSCP is a more recognized cert and would look better on the resume.

But CSA+ will help you more with technical skills you'd most likely use though... But the cert itself probably wouldn't help you a lot.

They both have their upsides.
  • Options
    trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2 different certs. CSA+ if you are really working in "blue team". SSCP is similar to Sec+, maybe slightly harder to pass, but requires "minimum of one year of direct full-time information security work experience in one or more of these seven domains of the (ISC)² SSCP CBK®". I don't think theses certs will have much value in Tech Support role. Are you moving to security role?
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• Options
    mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    trojin wrote: »
    2 different certs. CSA+ if you are really working in "blue team". SSCP is similar to Sec+, maybe slightly harder to pass, but requires "minimum of one year of direct full-time information security work experience in one or more of these seven domains of the (ISC)² SSCP CBK®". I don't think theses certs will have much value in Tech Support role. Are you moving to security role?

Yes I am trying to move into Security. I just stated the Tech Support so it was known that I would be taking the test with little Security experience.
  • Options
    trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    in this case SSCP will do
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    SSCP leans towards security engineering, CSA+ leans towards Security Analysis. The SSCP is probably harder than the CSA+, and is more inline with the CASP.

If you have the 1 year of experience the SSCP requires, then it could be a good option. Otherwise, the CSA+ might help with the skills to get a junior SOC position. SSCP seems to be a more natural progression from System/Network administration.

But my point of view is that you can never know too much.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SSCP is for Security Administrator and CSA+ is for SOC analyst. CEH are for Offensive Security analyst.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe try and get the SSCP now... and in three years get the CSA+ to renew any comptia certs you have for another three years after that.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA CyberSecurity might be an option if you work in a heavy Cisco shop...

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil