Guess who just Joined the MCSA Club.......74-409 Done.

greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
I Gatta Thank Jesus my lord and savior for this one. Scored an 850 on 74-409. set up some Hyper V labs within my existing server 2012 r2 lab in vmware workstation, to be honest I love the high availability features of hyper V and can see my self using this as a disaster recovery solution for any major company I apply to for a system admin job.

I used Orin Thomas VEEAM 74-409 pdf, used the practice questions at the end of each chapter, found some nice you tube videos and used star wind software for virtual San for CSV. Glad I got this done.

Cant decide what to do next. which type of job do you guys recommend I apply for now? and also what certs do you guys think I should target next?
:
Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats bro!! God is good indeed. I would definitely use that MCSA to its fullest in a Systems Admin role. It complements and supplements your experience. I would say cert wise you could go the MCSE route or round out your skills with the CCNA for networking/routing/switching exposure. Since you have some virtualization certs and system admin certs this route would give you a well-rounded approach with the networking. Your next role will definitely help carve out that path for certification. I hope this helps you out!! This could also open up some Cloud System Engineer roles or DC Operation opportunities.

Just a few suggestions icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks! will look into getting some Cisco gear for a home lab as i been playing on doing at least the ccent for a while.. I am also thinking about going for MCSE with exchange server 2016.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Did you follow any particular lab structure? or just try topics as you learned them?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    Did you follow any particular lab structure? or just try topics as you learned them?
    yeah I just lab the topics that I came across. or rather how I would use the technologies in my own lab.
    :

• KoreKore Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! You definitely stuck with it and made it possible. Celebration in mind?
    Kore wrote: »
    Congrats!!! You definitely stuck with it and made it possible. Celebration in mind?

Think I'm gonna treat my self to a very expensive fishing rod that I've wanted a very long time.
    :

• kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    greg9891 wrote: »
    Thanks! will look into getting some Cisco gear for a home lab as i been playing on doing at least the ccent for a while.. I am also thinking about going for MCSE with exchange server 2016.

Why exchange 2016? Very few companies are using Exchange 2016. Upgrade your MCSA 2012 R2 to MCSA 2016 with 70-743. Do 70-343 (exchange 2013) and you will be MCSE Productivity. Do 70-413, 70-414, or 70-744 and you will have MCSE Cloud Platform & Infrastructure. I will be doing 70-413 and 70-341 within the next 3 weeks.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
    kaiju wrote: »
    Why exchange 2016? Very few companies are using Exchange 2016. Upgrade your MCSA 2012 R2 to MCSA 2016 with 70-743. Do 70-343 (exchange 2013) and you will be MCSE Productivity. Do 70-413, 70-414, or 70-744 and you will have MCSE Cloud Platform & Infrastructure. I will be doing 70-413 and 70-343 within the next 3 weeks.

Did you do the 70-743? if so how was it and what were your study methods? I actually work for a company that is looking to upgrade to Exchange 2016 and it will give me a real advantage if I could I could get that cert.
    :

greg9891 wrote: »
    Did you do the 70-743? if so how was it and what were your study methods? I actually work for a company that is looking to upgrade to Exchange 2016 and it will give me a real advantage if I could I could get that cert.

No, I did 70-740/741/742 to get my MCSA. My coworkers did 70-743 for the upgrade and said it wasn't too difficult. They all studied the 70-743 ebook for a week and then took the test. We will be using Exchange 2013 for a couple more years so I am in no hurry to do 70-345.
    Do you have a copy of that ebook they used to study with. will look at the 70-743 cert hopefully at the end of the year or early 2018.
    :

• stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    Awesome! Congrats bro!

I assume the 74-409 is still an elective to the 70-412? I know I've read some threads where people aren't sure, given that the Microsoft site lists only the 70-412.
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]
  • NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    Congrats Greg.

I have the same question as above, can passing 74-409 with 410 and 411 give you a MCSA in Server?

Many thanks,
    Two guys said they used the ebook from Microsoft:
    https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/store/exam-ref-70-743-upgrading-your-skills-to-mcsa-windows-9780735697430

The other guy said he got the same book from Amazon but in Kindle version:
    https://www.amazon.com/Exam-70-743-Upgrading-Your-Skills-ebook/dp/B01MQYZ0M8
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
    Nisseki wrote: »
    Congrats Greg.

I have the same question as above, can passing 74-409 with 410 and 411 give you a MCSA in Server?

Many thanks,

Yes guys, the 74-409 is still an elective for MCSA.
    :

• sacredboysacredboy Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi greg9891,

Congratulations with new certification. Apart from playing around with Hyper-V what kind of resources you used for 74-409 exam?

Thanks.
    Best, sacredboy!
  • crumbs11crumbs11 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No, the 74-409 is no longer an elective for the 2012 MCSA. I received the following from Microsoft when I queried why it was not showing on my transcript as credit towards the MCSA (I just passed the 74-409 a week ago):

"Microsoft has updated the process about earning the [MCSA] certification. The update was completed this June 2017 and the exam 74-409 was removed as a substitute exam and all other substitute exams listed."

Needless to say I am not happy. This needed to be made more visible.
  • Ugly-051Ugly-051 Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good work, MCSA is a good baseline cert. I’m planning on doing the 74-409 over the summer, then doing 70-414 to complete MCSE Cloud and Infra. Thanks for also sharing the .PDF file, I’ll take a look at the questions at the end.
  • caliostrocaliostro Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ugly-051, I think, 74-409 doesn't work for MCSA anymore. At list, without conversation with Microsoft customer service.
  • drakerdraker Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Got the 411 scheduled for the 18th. Seems like you ripped right through the 409! Nice work.
    Break time..!
  • crumbs11crumbs11 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    UPDATE: after following up on this, I was told by Microsoft that there was "a disconnect in two systems due to them containing different data" which they are working to fix. I just checked my transcript, and it's now showing I have passed the MCSA 2012 (by using an elective). But I'd proceed very carefully though if you're currently planning on taking one of these electives. Probably better to play it safe and go 410, 411, and 412.
  • caliostrocaliostro Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Completely agree with crumbs11. In any other situations, I recommend to stay away from 70-412 alternative electives until Microsoft clearing company position. For peoples, who already pass any of alternative electives I would recommend to contact to Microsoft immediately.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats ... you slayed the beast.
  • Ugly-051Ugly-051 Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ugly-051 wrote: »
    Good work, MCSA is a good baseline cert. I’m planning on doing the 74-409 over the summer, then doing 70-414 to complete MCSE Cloud and Infra. Thanks for also sharing the .PDF file, I’ll take a look at the questions at the end.

I don’t think it does no but I’m doing it for Hyper-V work and not towards an MCSA as I’ve already got that cert.