CSA+ Thoughts

mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
You think that getting CSA+ might get your resume noticed by employers when applying to security jobs give that the cert name is actually Cyber Security Analyst, even though it might not be well known right now?

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nope, most won't have a clue what knowledge the exam actually covers. Which is the main purpose of certifications. To show you know X amount of knowledge. For all they know it could be a stupidly easy cert.
  • stickerbush1970stickerbush1970 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It depends. The DoD lives people that have certs. The biggest one you have to have is Sec+. I am working on my CASP, then I will take the CSA, but I already have a job in security and am just testing my knowledge and filling up my resume.
  • mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends. The DoD lives people that have certs. The biggest one you have to have is Sec+. I am working on my CASP, then I will take the CSA, but I already have a job in security and am just testing my knowledge and filling up my resume.

Well I'm currently in DC so DoD/Gov't jobs are a lot of what's here.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, the answer is maybe. Since CSA+ is not yet well known, it hasn't (last I looked) been added to DoDD 8570/8140, and the demand on job boards is still low, I wouldn't expect an immediate return on investment. Now, once the three points I made above change, then you will likely see a return but not until then.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wish this cert would get some recognition. I don't know any other certs that teach the Security Analyst position. It also teaches or at least touches on SIEM which I don't know of any other certs that do.
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fabostrong wrote: »
    I don't know any other certs that teach the Security Analyst position.

CCNA Cyber OPS is very similar
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mizterkewl wrote: »
    Well I'm currently in DC so DoD/Gov't jobs are a lot of what's here.
    8570 is what you need to focus on. Make sure you max out the levels and then you can start to branch off. Those jobs are required to hold specific certifications so they aren't optional.
    trojin wrote: »
    CCNA Cyber OPS is very similar

Logical Operations has their CyberSec First Responder and EC-Council has their Certified Network Defender, all of which, along with the CCNA Cyber Ops, seem to have similar goals and requirements.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

• mrvl13mrvl13 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far CSA+, my theory is get it in now and get it out of the way. CASP wasn't well known at first...but now its a different story. I see CSA+ being the nex big cert of Cyber-Analyst. I was an engineer for 4.5 years and I'm studying for it because I see the correlation between that and my other certs, (Net+,Sec+,SSCP)..... The objectives cover alot of latter the three plus a little bit of CASP material.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm taking the Skillsoft CSA+ trianing. My agency paid for a year of Skillsoft training. I'm about halfway through the course. So far, I haven't seen much that I didn't already learn with Security+ and SSCP.
    tedjames wrote: »
    I'm taking the Skillsoft CSA+ trianing. My agency paid for a year of Skillsoft training. I'm about halfway through the course. So far, I haven't seen much that I didn't already learn with Security+ and SSCP.

I took the beta exam in August of last year and my knowledge base is Security+ with studying for SSCP/CASP in a very disorganized fashion. As such, I would say you probably could do take it and pass without too much difficulty.

• tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did use CASP materials to help prep for SSCP. I've been thinking about CSA+. I don't know that having it would really benefit my career. I need to finish eJPT and then earn the CISPP. I'm taking the CSA+ training to fill in the gaps and earn credits to renew the SSCP.
    stryder144 wrote: »
    I took the beta exam in August of last year and my knowledge base is Security+ with studying for SSCP/CASP in a very disorganized fashion. As such, I would say you probably could do take it and pass without too much difficulty.