SANS CyberTalent Immersion Academy

supafish9supafish9 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I ran across a link promoting the SANS Immersion Academy off a veteran affiliated website and wanted to know if anyone has experience going through the program or can vouch for it.

https://www.sans.org/cybertalent/immersion-academy

There are two classes starting up in the next couple of months and I was thinking of applying. I don't have any direct experience with security - I've worked more with networking and electronics, but I'm currently working on a IT-Security degree with WGU.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I applied for it last year. You have to submit an application. If you get selected for the interview, they will notify you via email and set up an appointment. Once you are through with the phone chat they then determine whether or not to allow you into the program. Sadly, I did not get in, even with a Security+ and working on the IT Security degree from WGU. The process was quite pleasant, so there is that.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • wolf9081wolf9081 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I completed the SANS Vet Success Academy and it was phenomenal. It included three SANS courses, 1 resident and 2 on-demand courses and4 months of NetWars continuous. They also assisted with job placement afterwards if needed.

I had recently transitioned from the Marine Corps, when I was accepted and I treated the program as a full time job, studying for at least 8 hours per day. It was extremely demanding as we had to complete one course per month and pass the GIAC exam to move on to the next. I have heard they may have extended the program to give more time to take and retain the material now.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    supafish9 wrote: »
    the SANS Immersion Academy

Sounds like something where a little brain washing is involved with that name.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Sounds like something where a little brain washing is involved with that name.
    They felt "ReEducation Academy" was too obvious, hah.
  • supafish9supafish9 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wolf,

Did you end up taking an offer through the program or did you already have a job lined up? I'm currently working but I'm trying to transition from field service to networking and security.
  • wolf9081wolf9081 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did not accept an offer through the program. I had already found a position on my own while I was in the program. I am not sure how they are running it now, but I know the Women's Academy is allowing people 6-8 months to complete. This allows time to work on the program while maintaining your current position.
    Alright, just submitted the exam so we'll see where it goes from there.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Is this training available only in US cities? How much is the course fee?
    Just wanted to post an update: I ended up getting pick up for the program and can happily say I just passed my GSEC!

The GSEC is taken in a class for a week with a SANS instructor then the other two courses are on-demand, I believe. The training is phenomenal and the labs have been great. It's a significant step up from all the CompTIA stuff I have taken previously and can see why the cost is so much higher. If you end up applying and getting accepted, SANS covers everything except for food, travel, and lodging for your in-person class. It's a pretty small cost to pay considering what gets offered, and I'm hoping this helps me to transition into an infosec role.

Feel free to ask any questions, but I'm still only a third of the way through the program.
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    supafish9 wrote: »
    Just wanted to post an update: I ended up getting pick up for the program and can happily say I just passed my GSEC!

The GSEC is taken in a class for a week with a SANS instructor then the other two courses are on-demand, I believe. The training is phenomenal and the labs have been great. It's a significant step up from all the CompTIA stuff I have taken previously and can see why the cost is so much higher. If you end up applying and getting accepted, SANS covers everything except for food, travel, and lodging for your in-person class. It's a pretty small cost to pay considering what gets offered, and I'm hoping this helps me to transition into an infosec role.

Feel free to ask any questions, but I'm still only a third of the way through the program.

Congrats. What are the other class you're going to take?
    I'm starting up with the GCIH this week and the third cert is up in the air at this point. I'm looking at taking the GPEN following the GCIH if I have enough time to complete it.
  • Bamaa2000Bamaa2000 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi wolf9081. Great achievements! I am anticipating to be called for an phone interview. Do you have any tips ? Phone interview can be very challenging for me.
    A long time since this post was first posted. My recommendation is to tell them how much you're interested in the industry, what you've done, and what your goals are. The phone interview is pretty laid back. If you do well, they'll set you up with a technical exam (or the exam was first then the phone screen?) and then hopefully you should hear back soon.

Best of luck! I just landed my first security gig last week and I can directly attribute it to SANS and my certs.
  • CamericaineCamericaine Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wolf9081 said:
    I completed the SANS Vet Success Academy and it was phenomenal. It included three SANS courses, 1 resident and 2 on-demand courses and4 months of NetWars continuous. They also assisted with job placement afterwards if needed.

I had recently transitioned from the Marine Corps, when I was accepted and I treated the program as a full time job, studying for at least 8 hours per day. It was extremely demanding as we had to complete one course per month and pass the GIAC exam to move on to the next. I have heard they may have extended the program to give more time to take and retain the material now.
    @wolf9081 did you have any IT background? I just finished my assessment test for my application and I didnt do well at all. Any tips for the phone interview please?