Should I take Security+ exam?

georgiosgeorgios Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I was positively planning on Security+ exam recently until I found the price. $320 is really not cheap. The reason I chose security+ is my A+ and Network+ are due this year and security+ is the most popular. So my question is: can I let them expire this year and renew next year or later? I have MCSA 2012 and CCNA certs to get this year as I'm working for an ISP and these two certs are more important.

Comments

• VictorVictor5VictorVictor5 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey you do know if you have a .edu account you get a significant discount, right?

Don't let your certs expire! If you pass Sec+ they automatically renew.

VV5
    B.S. Electrical Engineering, M.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering, PhD Electrical and Computer Engineering
    J.D. Candidate (2L)
    In the books: CompTIA Network+, Security+, CEH, Associate of (ISC)^2, GIAC: GSEC, GAWN, GCIH, GPEN, GCFA
    ProBoard: FF I & II; HAZMAT: Awareness, Operations, and Technician; Fire Instructor I; NREMT: EMT-B. Next up: Fire Officer I
    Currently Working on: PE-Electrical and Electronics, Patent and State Bars, and Juris Doctor (law degree)
    Next: GCIA/GCWN and/or GCUX/PMP/GSE
    Next after next: Med school!!!!! Lol
  • atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    CompTIA Academic Marketplace

Here is the link Victor was talking about. $203 for Sec+, but you must have a .edu email
  • georgiosgeorgios Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Was browsing this forum and found someone's point about not renewing A+, N+ to be interesting. I kind of agree, I'm working in a Telco company and certs don't seem to be needed to jump to another department. I also heard that a team leader of security department had no certs at all. And I'm also studying ccna and mcsa, should I focus on those? What do you guys think?
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think anyone in an infrastructure/help desk role should take Security+.

Does your company offer reimbursement for exam fee's if you pass? If so, take advantage of it!