Security+ vs Network+

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

Currently studying for Security+ and I am wondering, difficulty level wise how is the Security plus certification vs the Network plus?

Someone who has taken both RECENTLY.

Thanks.
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly, I skipped Net+. Didn't really see the value in it, but I did read the book. Sec+ builds on concepts from Net+, but in a security sense (duh?). Not all of it is technical, which makes it easier in some ways. Security is just a different realm from other areas of IT.

Security+ is no joke though for those with less than 2 years experience. I believe CompTIA is making their exams harder, because in the past they were often laughed at. It's a great stepping stone to the CISSP. You can pass Sec+ with ~month of consistent studying. I do hear it's easier than Net+ from some people though.

Read Darril Gibsons book if you haven't already, watch Professor Messers videos (I wish I had), and make flashcards on every topic in each domain and be able to recite their purpose from memory.

On test day I highly suggest you mark the simulation questions first and come back to them after the multiple choice. 90 minutes may seem like enough time for 75+ questions, but time can run out quick if you aren't using it wisely.

Hope that helps
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Helps a lot thank you!

Currently reading Mike Meyer's book and using CBT Nuggets videos. I also have the Glen Clark and New Horizon's Security+ books.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Skip Net+. If you want networks cert go directly with CCENT - CCNA.

Good luck!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"