Any GSEs here that can comment?

kanikedude03kanikedude03 Member Posts: 10 ■■□□□□□□□□

I'm thinking about taking the GSE and would like to get thoughts from people who already has the GSE.

Back in April, I passed my GXPN, and now I'm thinking of what higher level certification I can do next. Looking at the GSE requirements and my current certifications, I would only need to take GCIA and GSEC or GCIA, GCWN, and GCUX. I'm just curious if anyone here has GSE and if they used the GSEC route or the GCWN & GCUX route. I kind of feel like taking the GSEC at this point in my career would be a waste of a bunch of money, but at the same time, I know that I would still learn at least a few things given the quality of SANS training.

My background is the following:
AS Electrical Engineering
BS Electrical Engineering
BS Computer Engineering
MS Electrical Engineering
Master's Certificate in Computer Forensics
CompTIA Security+ CE
ISC2 CISSP
ISC2 CSSLP
GCIH
GWAPT
GPEN
GXPN

I currently hold GXPN, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CSSLP, and CompTIA Security+ CE so the GSE seems like a good "next step" in my career. I currently hold GXPN, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CSSLP, and CompTIA Security+ CE so the GSE seems like a good "next step" in my career.
I'm seriously thinking about taking the GSE and would like to talk to someone within the company who already has it to get their thoughts about me pursuing it.

I currently hold GXPN, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CSSLP, and CompTIA Security+ CE so the GSE seems like a good "next step" in my career.

Comments

• kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm not a GSE, but I know a few people that have just as much certs and education as you do. Sure GSE can be good for the career, but what are you looking to get out of it? Are you looking for another learning opportunity, new job, etc? For you, yes GSEC would be a waste, and you could probably test w/o the books...or look at GCIA. If you are looking at something new to enhance your resume, look at writing some Gold Papers, or present at an infosec conference. If I remember correctly, GSE is a combo of GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GCWN, and GCUX. So if you are really itchin for it, pass the GSEC, get GCIA and your Gold papers in order.

I know you are on a roll, but you can also take a breather...or better yet a vacation icon_thumright.gif
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    If there is no direct benefit to GSE, then why not do some other advanced SANS courses?

How about GCFA/GCFE ? GREM?

This will expand your knowledge and probably open more doors...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• kanikedude03kanikedude03 Member Posts: 10 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just realize that I have absolutely no idea what happened to the bottom of my original post!

Honestly, I'm not looking for anything more than personal satisfaction gained from the joy of knowing how things work. I currently have a good job, but my experience has been that furthering my education, experience, and understanding of technology seems to constantly open up more and more opportunities for me. I also like the fact that it will renew all of my other GIAC certifications.

Basically all I need is GSEC and GCIA because on their Pre-requisites (https://www.giac.org/certification/security-expert-gse), they have the following option:

"GSEC, GCIH, GCIA with no gold and two substitutes"
    "Higher level certifications can act as substitutes for gold papers. Visit the GIAC Certification Roadmap for details."

My understanding is that I should be able to substitute GXPN and GWAPT as they are higher level.

The other option I was contemplating is "GCWN, GCUX, GCIH, GCIA with no gold and one substitute".

The pros and cons of one method of the other was also a further question for people on this forum. Just looking at the certified professionals on GIACs site (https://www.giac.org/certified-professionals/directory/gse), I can see that most people went with the GSEC option rather than the GCWN and GCUX option. I was just curious if one would prepare you better than the other or if anyone knows anything about that. My experience with SANS has always been that everything you need to answer any multiple choice questions or lab question is in the book somewhere. I'm not sure how GCWN/GCUX vs GSEC would complicate that.

Since I finished grad school, I've only been doing 1 certification per year, so it's not anything crazy. I still take vacations! haha. I like the pace of 1 certification per year and I always do them in the winter so I have the rest of the year free. icon_smile.gif
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Also, since you have GPEN/GPXN/GWAPT, perhaps OSCP will add more value than GSE? Just a thought
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• kanikedude03kanikedude03 Member Posts: 10 ■■□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    If there is no direct benefit to GSE, then why not do some other advanced SANS courses?

How about GCFA/GCFE ? GREM?

This will expand your knowledge and probably open more doors...

I am most definitely considering that! If I don't take the GSE, I was going to do either GREM, GAWN, or GMOB this December. So far, SANS CDI 2017 (https://www.sans.org/event/cyber-defense-initiative-2017/) only has GREM and GMOB listed as options though, so unless something changes, I would only have those to choose from.

Both the GCFA and GCFE that you mention are offered at the event though! I will read up on those two classes and see if I think those would be interesting to me.