please check out my recently purchased lab equipment for CCENT/CCNA

mfnlmfnl Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
So decided to go full throttle down the Cisco route..

I know some people do CCENT/CCNA without physical gear but I think my understanding will be improved by working on physical equipment so bought a few items last night on ebay.

My questions are: Is this equipment enough to see me through to ICND2 and maybe onto CCNP? Is there anything I should like out for, like the ios versions? I can upgrade / the ios versions quite easily by download a specific version from Cisco right? And how many console cables will I need, just one?

This is what I got;

x2 2950 switches
1x 2651xm router
1x 2650xm router

Cost £78 in total including delivery. Comes with 2 Cat5 cables and power cords.

CISCO CCNA CCNP LAB X 1- 2651XM, X1 -2650XM routers .X 1 - 2950-24 SWITCH. LAB | eBay

Cisco 2950 24 Port Network Switch (Catalyst 2950-24) | eBay

Comments

• clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My questions are: Is this equipment enough to see me through to ICND2 and maybe onto CCNP?
    I'd say 3 routers would be better for the icnd2. and you might be able to work them into a ccnp lab, but you are going to need more equipment for the ccnp.

Is there anything I should like out for, like the ios versions?
    that is the most important part. along with enough memory to run the ios.

I can upgrade / the ios versions quite easily by download a specific version from Cisco right?
    if you have a support contract. and that equipment is so old, cisco has stopped supporting it. so maybe not.

And how many console cables will I need, just one?
    one will be enough. then setup the equipment so you telnet/ssh into it with a ethernet cable from your computer for a second connection
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    One console cable, and probably telnet from device to device, I got sick of that though and just got a 2509 with an octal cable as an access server.

The 2950's are not going to cut it at all, a minimum of 3560 I would say, none of your devices can run IOS 15.x from that list, so you will be limited in what you can lab. Might want to cut your loss and comfy up to GNS3, I broke the bank on my lab years ago, plan to ditch that **** as soon as CCNP is done and go virtual.

No reason to spend that exam money on equipment anymore.
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I took my ICND2 about 2 years ago and honestly Packet Tracer was enough FOR ME- and it was "using" IOS 12.x. I'm all for having real equipment because there are many things you can't simulate but if you just need to pass your CCNA then PT or GNS3 will be enough. CCNP? I couldn't tell you.
  • the.thrillseekersthe.thrillseekers Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    One console cable, and probably telnet from device to device, I got sick of that though and just got a 2509 with an octal cable as an access server.

The 2950's are not going to cut it at all, a minimum of 3560 I would say, none of your devices can run IOS 15.x from that list, so you will be limited in what you can lab. Might want to cut your loss and comfy up to GNS3, I broke the bank on my lab years ago, plan to ditch that **** as soon as CCNP is done and go virtual.

No reason to spend that exam money on equipment anymore.

What about the need to see the actual router and switch? When on a job interview an interviewer may ask what's the diference between certain models, or what modules can be installed on certain router models.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Packet tracer shows you the back side of the router models it has available, shows you the different WIC cards you can insert into the slots and explanations of what those WIC cards are for, and you will never be asked that in an interview in your life. Ever.

When it comes to putting a WIC Card into a router slot, if you can't figure out that a square peg doesn't fit in the round hole, you are in worse shape then not being able to find a job friend :)
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What about the need to see the actual router and switch? When on a job interview an interviewer may ask what's the diference between certain models, or what modules can be installed on certain router models.

It's not neccesary, unless you have absolutely no experience with networking equipment I can hardly see any benefits.

The only benefit I can see is you can practice upgrading your IOS, password recovery, using flashcards. Then again this type of stuff I'm not sure if you'll be tested on. It's useful IRL though.
    ande0255 wrote: »
    Packet tracer shows you the back side of the router models it has available, shows you the different WIC cards you can insert into the slots and explanations of what those WIC cards are for, and you will never be asked that in an interview in your life. Ever.

When it comes to putting a WIC Card into a router slot, if you can't figure out that a square peg doesn't fit in the round hole, you are in worse shape then not being able to find a job friend :)

Would you let a mechanic whose NEVER touched an engine work on your car? .:mic drop:.
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    It's not neccesary, unless you have absolutely no experience with networking equipment I can hardly see any benefits.

The only benefit I can see is you can practice upgrading your IOS, password recovery, using flashcards. Then again this type of stuff I'm not sure if you'll be tested on. It's useful IRL though.

If you're going to be a network engineer you ought to have touched a real router or switch, my cousin at NASDAQ recommends this...
  • mfnlmfnl Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just want to thank you guys for the responses..

It is a good to see varied opinions. Not to say one is right or wrong but I think it comes down to personal preference as far as using real gear + GNS3/P.Tracer for CCNA exam practice or only GNS3/P.Tracer . . Surely if you can afford it tho cant see any downsides to having configured real gear.

Thanks again.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're going to be a network engineer you ought to have touched a real router or switch, my cousin at NASDAQ recommends this...

We aren't talking about "if you're going to be a network engineer", obviously you can't become a network engineer without real experience. We are talking about training for CCNA R&S certification.

I've already been CCNA certified, passed it in 2013. I let it expire in 2016 and I'm going to certify again. For me, while I did get some hands on some Cisco gear for a couple of days during that training, I can honestly say it was unnecessary for exam purposes.

I've worked in a NOC for 3 years now primarily Cisco equipment, and really for my experience the most important thing you need is to know the software and how to do what you need to do.

I'd recommend getting 1 router and 1 switche maybe, just for someone with no experience can get a feel for it and play around. But your studies are more efficient with Packet Tracer or GNS3 or VIRL for CCNA. To each their own though.