Money Spent on training

rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
I was just adding it up and the cost of all the training I have done is about £40k ($51k) and annual costs for membership\renewals is £450 ($600).

Wondered how much other people had spent and if they could do it all again they still would?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    $51k over what period of time? And also, who paid for it?
  • rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    $51k over what period of time? And also, who paid for it?

The bulk over the last 5 years and was lucky enough that it was all covered by employers.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Curious, with the list of certs you have, was all of that training classroom-based training? I haven't spent a fraction of that with the list of certs I have. The most expensive were the two GIAC certs at $900 a pop for Work Study.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From N+ to CCNA was 1000 including actual routers/switches and test costs and study guides. 450 for my 3 AWS exams plus about 80 for the cloud guru. Somewhere under 2k. Haven't had to renew yet. I will let my N+ expire.

I would probably not have bought the routers/switches for my CCNA. Really isn't necessary for something that entry level.
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So far I've only spent about $250-$300? But I don't have much except 2 certs from a community college and everything (classes, books, materials, etc.) for those was free, so the only money I've put out so far was for books to study for the A+ years ago (never took the exam, had no transpo) and Networking books.

I just wanted to comment though because while I was planning to keep track of the future costs of pursuing certs probably more than your average person would, this makes me want to keep an even more detailed ledger of the expenses, thanks.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've spent about $500 for all my training and certs. Only paid for ejpt out of pocket, everything else was paid by my employer. Bought the CCSP book, all other training material was paid by employers.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How many CCIEs and SANS courses in that £40k ($51k)?
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've had only a few exams paid for by an employer, even fewer times have they paid for training material. I'd say, for each exam I've taken, I've spent $250 - $500 in exam fees and study materials. I generally look for as many free resources as I can, use trial software anywhere I can, and try to only spend money on essentials. Still, over the course of 12 years and 18 (passed) exams, I suppose it adds up.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not a whole lot but then again I don't have that many certs. Never paid for training other than college tuition.

A+ about $200
    Network+ about $200
    Security+ $400 (paid for free retake but didn't need it). Company reimbursed $300 of it
    CISSP $600 but company paid for it.

The other little ones were free
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Curious, with the list of certs you have, was all of that training classroom-based training? I haven't spent a fraction of that with the list of certs I have. The most expensive were the two GIAC certs at $900 a pop for Work Study.

I have not updated my list of certs on here for years. I have about 30 certs probably 8-10 of them where classroom based. The biggest cost is for my masters which I am doing that was about £14k ($18k).
    yoba222 wrote: »
    How many CCIEs and SANS courses in that £40k ($51k)?

None, not a big fan of SANS over priced open book exams which you have to renew or do another course which then gets you stuck in a cycle.
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best money I ever spent. Including all of the failed exams. I would rather spent $1,500 to get a CCENT than $1,500 on a useless 'elective class' for a pointless college degree.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Node Man wrote: »
    Best money I ever spent. Including all of the failed exams. I would rather spent $1,500 to get a CCENT than $1,500 on a useless 'elective class' for a pointless college degree.
    While in actual usefulness, I agree. But unfortunately to many companies out there that "pointless college degree" is a big deal and it never has to be renewed or expires.
  • joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been spending about $7-8,000 a year out of pocket, but I quit my second job to have time to study, so that's an extra $10-15,000. It would be a lot cheaper without paying for WGU, but as Daniel said, employers want that useless college degree. I can't wait until school is over and I'll have more time to study certs.
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    While in actual usefulness, I agree. But unfortunately to many companies out there that "pointless college degree" is a big deal and it never has to be renewed or expires.

You reminded of something, and this may be a semi-joke, but I have heard people say : "If your degree is over 3 years old, you don't have a degree anymore".
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lets see.

ICDN1 3,300
    GSEC 5,500
    ICDN2 3,300
    GCIH 5,600
    Checkpoint Firewall 4,000? Onsite training
    Continous Monitoring 6,000
    GREM 5,900
    GIAC Certs 1,950
    Total $35,550

Plus travel roughtly 15k in travel Over two 1/2 years, it adds up pretty quickly.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.