Newbie Cert Question

nezaneza Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently trying to break in to the IT security field. I am particularly interested in pen testing, auditing, or forensics - it's the investigative side that attracts me.

Anyways, I received a grant from the state to study IT at any approved location in my city. They all offer training for different certifications. I just wanted to know which path would be the best to jump start my career here.

Like, should I get my CCNA Security? Or go for my CCNP (CCNA helps with network training, but I don't want to be tied down to Cisco unless really neccessary)? They also have combos like CCNA and Security+ or CCNA and MSCA.

I'm leaning towards CCNA and Sec+ but if I should just go for the CCNP or CCNA-S, I just want to get the bang for my buck.
Ideally down the road I want to get a CEH or CWSP or something of the sort.

Comments

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can't just take the CCNA Security. You'll nee the CCENT first, which is the first half of the CCNA. You can't just take the CCNP. You'll need a CCNA first. So start with CCENT and decide after you get that first. It might be or not be the direction you expected, which you can evaluate when you cross that bridge. I'd recommend Sec+ over Microsoft certs.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • zeitgeist29zeitgeist29 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    https://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/information_technology_degree_security

I would strongly consider enrolling in that program, if you can. You'll end up with a BS plus CCNA, CCNA Sec, Sec+, Network+ and a few other certifications that will put you in a good position. Or you could work toward CCNA and Sec+ which will still take some time. Sec+ is good enough for most DoD jobs. Another route would be A+, Network+, and Sec+ to start out. Then if you wanna get into Cisco the CCNA and CCNA Sec would be a little bit easier. But like I first suggested, WGU gets you all the certs I mentioned plus some others and a degree. If I didn't have a degree already or if I had money that's what I would do. I've been working toward my CCNA and am hopefully taking the CCENT exam in 3-4 weeks. Either way, good luck with your choice.
  • nezaneza Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I know. The certification training will cover my path from CCNA to CCNP or CCNA Security. These are meant to start from the ground up.

And thank you. Luckily, I'm not a big fan of Microsoft anyways.
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are interested in pen testing, auditing or forensics....why are you wanting to get cisco or microsoft certs? I can see some value in learning fundamental knowledge with these, but I wouldn't waste my time honestly. I did some MS certs last year and honestly I didn't think it was worth it.

I'd start with Sec+ to get the basics down, then decide which route you want to take.

Pen testing - I'd start with eJPT. I'm going to be attempting that later this year. I hear it's very underrated and a great hands on experience for a great price.

Auditing - Not much here (that I know of) besides the CISA, which you probably won't qualify for anyway. I think? Whats your experience?

Forensics - Look into the SANS stuff. I hear their certs are pretty top notch.
  • nezaneza Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Because I heard it is much easier landing a job after those. Getting into cybersecurity is rather difficult without previous experience in IT, so I thought I'd start off with something basic, like a help desk position.

And I think sec+ is def on my list. I've never heard of eJPT, sounds interesting thank you, I'll look it up.