How is the job market in your area?

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
Where I am there is NOTHING.... I am in Pennsylvania.

What is your experience and how is the market for you?
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    South Florida. IT SUCKS!!! only about 4 companies ever hire down here.
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's the trick is there hotspots? Plan on moving?
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
    What's the trick is there hotspots? Plan on moving?

I might no other option. im trying to figure out where the jobs are. They talk about cyber-security shortage!!!!
    I found 2 opportunities but one I have to move to Santa Barbara for, it's a really good opportunity but SB is SOOOOOOOOO expensive to live in and it's hard to find a place to live. The other is Harrisburg but I won't be able to move for a while. I am just hoping it's my area.
  • GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dismal where I am (western Arkansas). Willing to relocate, just not looking forward to a pay cut...I'm highly valued where I am, but the offers I've been getting elsewhere are around 25k-30k less than what I make (mainly due to lack of large-scale experience), and that's a hard pill to swallow. I'm just not a big deal in the bigger areas. LOL It may be worth it though for the prospects and to feel like what I do at work matters.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think it seems pretty good here Minnesnowta. As long as you know your stuff and have a little experience.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□

The location is kinda vague. The distance between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia is 5 hours, Erie 6 1/2 hours. Why not just say the job market conditions suck in this part of the milky way. Can you be a tad more specific with your location? The job market in Erie may suck, but be great in Philadelphia.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Denver area is amazing

My stress is pretty much gone, if anything happens with this dept It won't be so bad looking for another job since I'm denying offers to interview every week, the calls keep coming in for 10+ positions each week. I want to take one of their offers and join the security world again but I think I'll stick with what I'm doing now since it will benefit my career in the long run. Getting a proper background in my current role and looking to stay here long term even though there's companies offering similar benefits/job growth
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Houston and Texas are hot areas. Also Texas ranks as one of the top states for various things.
    Ok, good it's just the area. I will continue to press forward and hold out.
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    South Carolina is a good spot as well I hear, They keep calling for jobs and they are calling out of state might have a shortage of qualified people; although a lot of jobs in the state...
  • joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hear Texas is good, but I don't see many tech jobs on the Texas Tamaulipas border. The ones I do see are usually desktop support, helpdesk call centers, and structured cabling. Texas is a big state though.
  • zeitgeist29zeitgeist29 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Denver area is amazing

My stress is pretty much gone, if anything happens with this dept It won't be so bad looking for another job since I'm denying offers to interview every week, the calls keep coming in for 10+ positions each week. I want to take one of their offers and join the security world again but I think I'll stick with what I'm doing now since it will benefit my career in the long run. Getting a proper background in my current role and looking to stay here long term even though there's companies offering similar benefits/job growth

I agree, along with Colorado Springs if security is your thing. My bro has CCNP and a BS and gets tons of offers. Rent is crazy high but it's an amazing place to live too. Not to mention good night life.
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know I am going to get ripped for this, I am in Dallas. Its all helpdesk @15-20hr. I also think recruiters put fake jobs out to get your resume , meet you and all that BS.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I might no other option. im trying to figure out where the jobs are. They talk about cyber-security shortage!!!!

What I've found for InfoSec, Atlanta, DC/Maryland/Virginia, and Dallas are the affordable hot areas (non-NY/CA), also NC and CO have a good amount of IT/InfoSec jobs. If you don't want to head out of Florida, Tampa is the best overall market for IT/InfoSec jobs in the state.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @boxerboy1168

Where do you live in PA? Philly metro isn't too bad. Delaware sucks for IT jobs. Go figure since 50% of all publicly traded companies are incorporated in DE. The real key is to find a remote job. icon_cheers.gif
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Job market great here in the Washington DC/Balt metro area
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Thanks for this info i will start looking to see whats happening over in tampa
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Boston is a pretty good area for IT/InfoSec. The mid-Atlantic region is HOT. Maryland/D.C/Richmond areas are booming with tech jobs.

If you are looking for affordability...Richmond, Charlotte, Atlanta, Tampa are pretty good places to live. Stay out of DC because everything there is insanely expensive, but on the plus side you can get really good experience. Plus the mid-Atlantic area is close to everything. One our drive to the beach, one our drive to the mountains and cities within driving distance for weekend fun.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is a lot of work in Texas. However, the state government is under a hiring freeze until at least 8/31/17. I've heard rumors that they may extend the freeze.

Don't come to Austin; we're full! I hear that San Antonio is nice, though...
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Thanks for this info i will start looking to see whats happening over in tampa

Good luck! Feel free to PM me with any questions. I moved from Jax to there for 2 years and became very familiar with all of the areas.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    I agree, along with Colorado Springs if security is your thing. My bro has CCNP and a BS and gets tons of offers. Rent is crazy high but it's an amazing place to live too. Not to mention good night life.

You are referring to Colorado Springs' nightlife? icon_lol.gif

Colorado is great but I am pretty over it for personal reasons more than professional. I do feel like in a few more years it's going to become everything I hated back east and I'll be forced to move.
  • Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tedjames wrote: »
    There is a lot of work in Texas. However, the state government is under a hiring freeze until at least 8/31/17. I've heard rumors that they may extend the freeze.

Don't come to Austin; we're full! I hear that San Antonio is nice, though...

Adding to what tedjames already said the Texas government is also doing a huge push to hire veterans starting Sept 1 when the hiring freeze is lifted, veterans will get priority hiring. State Agencies are required to have 20% veteran workforce and majority of them are not even close to that. The Texas Workforce Commision will have veterans only job fairs every monday where there will nothing but interviews all day.
  • t93cobrat93cobra Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□

What is your experience and how is the market for you?

I'm in Seattle and in the Information Security field. The market is great here. I have company recruiters, not headhunters, contacting me about their open positions. Well, actually, those headhunters are contacting me as well. :)
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Phoenix is really hot right now for IT.
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hammer80 wrote: »
    Adding to what tedjames already said the Texas government is also doing a huge push to hire veterans starting Sept 1 when the hiring freeze is lifted, veterans will get priority hiring. State Agencies are required to have 20% veteran workforce and majority of them are not even close to that. The Texas Workforce Commision will have veterans only job fairs every monday where there will nothing but interviews all day.

Thanks for the info... in Phoenix at the moment.(strong market)..... we've thought about going back to Texas (lived in Lubbock many years ago) ...this is good news. Will have to make a trip in September... :)

Thanks again,
    Hatch
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blatini wrote: »

Colorado is great but I am pretty over it for personal reasons more than professional. I do feel like in a few more years it's going to become everything I hated back east and I'll be forced to move.
    I agree!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • zeitgeist29zeitgeist29 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blatini wrote: »

Oh lord no lol. Unless you wanna get stabbed. I meant Denver. Last time went Downtown in the springs my buddy got a knife pulled on him by some army twat...then he told him he was an officer and they poo poo'd their panties and ran away.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hammer80 wrote: »

That's good to know. I'll have to let my veteran friends know. That said, the Texas Department of Information Resources just posted two security jobs. They somehow got around the hiring freeze.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NC is good if you are in Charlotte or Raleigh. Elsewhere its... meh.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...