CAREER ADVICE: Is there a career path for me? (Entry-Level, new to IT)

BauerBauer Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello TechExamers,

First and foremost, thank you to those who took the time to view and/or respond to my thread. I've listed some background information about myself below in the bolded section, along with my actual career related question towards the bottom of this post.

CONTEXT / BACKGROUND:
I'm a fairly recent graduate (class of 2015) who did NOT study IT while attending university, my major was actually in business. While I've always liked technology, I don't think that counts for much these days as it's 2017 - who doesn't like tech? But if I'm being honest with you, I never actually thought of a career in IT until I graduated, sometime after accepting my first and current job.

My current job is with a company who primarily provides cloud security training/consulting to a pretty impressive client list. Said company is very small, which results in me wearing multiple hats, but on a typical day I'll be working on either web management, sales/marketing, vendor management or all of the above. Now these day-to-day duties at work aren't the main reason for my interested in IT as a career - it's actually due to my "extracurricular" activities.

These activities usually take place during downtime at work. I've had a few opportunities to learn from our consultants and explore areas of IT that were foreign to me. The topics can vary but will usually relate to various standards/compliances (e.g. ISO, PCI DSS) and how they impact an enterprise as a whole - not just the IT department. It's those interactions and learning experiences that turn my hours into seconds, and it's actually what I like most about my job. I've also had an opportunity to attend a few different training programs for vendor-neutral certifications (e.g. CCSK, CCSP, CISSP) which I've found to be equally as enjoyable and interesting.

It's the "extracurricular" learning experiences like these that have sparked my interest in pursuing a career in IT, and hopefully, a career in information security down the road.

QUESTION:
In your opinion, is there a realistic and appropriate career path for an individual who's passionate about the governance of information security, yet has extremely limited hands-on/general IT experience in a professional setting? Additionally, is there a particular position that you feel might be a good, or bad, fit for me based on the provided context above?

I'd love to get started mapping out potential certification/career paths, however I'm having some difficulties without really knowing what a realistic career path might be - if there even is one.

---

To those of you who choose to reply, thank you in advance! I truly appreciate any form of advice you share, positive or negative.

Comments

• boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am going from installing hardwood floors and working in factory's into IT. I start with the Net+ cert first and I am now enrolling into WGU.

If I can do it you can do it.

The real question here is not weather or not you can do it the question is are you willing to do the work to accomplish your goals.

No one can answer that for you.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • zeitgeist29zeitgeist29 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A+ is a good start, follow up with Network+, and Security+ and you'll be in a good position. I'm working on my CCNA and then Sec+. Do some research with cisco and comptia and you'll had a better direction; also learn about network engineer, security engineer, etc. CCNA will is a good starting point. Just be passionate and focused and you'll get there. I have no experience too but I'm determined to achieve my goals.
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    I'd start by asking around at work what it would take to move into a more technical role. Seems like you already have a foot in the door there.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Of course there is a career path for you. Dig in and work at it. You will get there..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Quench24Quench24 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What the poster above said about asking your current company if there is an opportunity for you there.

Secondly,

I'd start by getting A+ and finding a deployment, then help desk, just gain knowledge.
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't always agree with what a lot of other TE members say about this type of question. Just because someone has an interest in IT, or more specifically information security, why do they have to go the usual route of A+ then helpdesk? That's a totally different function from where you want to be in your career. It might be harder being a recent college grad without experience, but pursue some security certs and find an entry level job in security. You are getting a range of experience at your current job which is often a great thing to have in security. It's not just technical knowledge.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would think that if you wanted to stay at your current company, it'd be a great opportunity since what they do is deal with cloud security training. You've got a front row ticket and backstage pass to instructors, materials, company-sponsored events and contacts industry-wide and you can network professionally with many companies and expand your available job prospects while staying on the edge of news and technology.

I wouldn't go anywhere if I were you. I would, however, start with the Security+ Certification. From there, I'd look at the CCSK and probably some associate level cloud training certification (VCA, AWS-Assoc., etc.). Next, I'd consider some resume ribbons like the CEH and CISSP. If your interest is governence, target some of those higher level, less technical certs and maybe consider WGU or a similar university where many of your certs and college credits would cut down the requirements for an Info Sec Assurance degree or Masters in that field.

There are vendors, like your company, that needs sales people who understand tech. Some of the big companies (symantec, blucoat, etc.) need people with that skillset (softskills, sales & tech) to work with top level engineers to service customer's needs. That can be a highly lucritive opportunity with many benefits.

Good luck!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • t93cobrat93cobra Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    I don't always agree with what a lot of other TE members say about this type of question. Just because someone has an interest in IT, or more specifically information security, why do they have to go the usual route of A+ then helpdesk? That's a totally different function from where you want to be in your career. It might be harder being a recent college grad without experience, but pursue some security certs and find an entry level job in security. You are getting a range of experience at your current job which is often a great thing to have in security. It's not just technical knowledge.

Agreed. I currently work in IS and have never worked in the help desk or IT for that matter. I would start with the Security+ certification and then start exploring your opportunities within your company.