Options

How is the job market in your area?

Comments

• Options
    boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replys guys very good to know!

Just going to have to keep working hard! Trying to cozy up to the IT guys in my industrial facility (where I run a printing press) see if I can't get some experience.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm around the Memphis area and there are jobs but the pay is well below the national average. I'm currently working as an Infrastructure Analyst as my entry level job, and I love it! I get calls and emails constantly though about other offers, I'm not taking any right now as I'm happy.
  • Options
    atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    Nobody has brought up Huntsville?!?! Rent is extremely low and jobs are coming through like crazy.
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    atippett wrote: »
    Nobody has brought up Huntsville?!?! Rent is extremely low and jobs are coming through like crazy.

Huntsville, Alabama? I lived there in the early '90s (spent a lot of time at the Tip Top). Way back then, the overall cost of living was really low. A friend bought his first house for $55k. I paid $420 rent per month for a big house. My cable bill was just $5 per month. It's a great place for tech jobs of any kind. We had to go to Nashville, Birmingham, or Atlanta for fun, though. It was kind of a dull place back then. Hopefully, things have improved.
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Dallas is on fire right now with all the companies moving here from other states.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    I can't help but read all these posts about how on fire arizona and texas are and feel my skin boil just thinking about living there.
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Denver is poppin. especially in the Denver Tech Center there are plenty of positions
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blatini wrote: »
    I can't help but read all these posts about how on fire arizona and texas are and feel my skin boil just thinking about living there.

Next week...here in Phoenix... Monday/Tuesday...the forecast...119 and 120.... but it's a dry heat.. right? LOL so is an oven!!! This time of year... I want to move out of state... then things cool off and the place is amazing. I wear shorts... in the winter. :)

Hatch
  • Options
    joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hatch1921 wrote: »
    Next week...here in Phoenix... Monday/Tuesday...the forecast...119 and 120.... but it's a dry heat.. right? LOL so is an oven!!! This time of year... I want to move out of state... then things cool off and the place is amazing. I wear shorts... in the winter. :)

Hatch

It's not that bad in south Texas. Heat index is 92 right now at 10:40 PM
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□

Hatch

It's really not that bad. I moved down last year and my summers used to be 55-75. Typically in the 60s. We love it here and even get outside in the summer but if that's not your thing then stay inside. Contrary to some people's belief, AZ is not some boring flat desert. There is a lot to do and see here.
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Blucodex wrote: »
    It's really not that bad. I moved down last year and my summers used to be 55-75. Typically in the 60s. We love it here and even get outside in the summer but if that's not your thing then stay inside. Contrary to some people's belief, AZ is not some boring flat desert. There is a lot to do and see here.

It is definitely gorgeous out there, can't argue that.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    California is very good in general. As long as you have degrees, years of experience and top certs. ALso, connection will be your biggest help.

The problem is the cost of living.
    For example. The pay in San jose and san francisco is around 160k to 200k depending on your experience, responsibilities (are you will to travel or not) credentials/certs and connection to the people.
    The problem is the cost of a house. 800k-1mil just for a 3 bedroom house in a good neighborhood. This is not even a brand new house.

In LA its right about the same pay. 130k-200k/yr. The 3 or more bedroom houses are 600k-800k. Then you still have to drive 45mins to an hour to get to your work.
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    California is very good in general. As long as you have degrees, years of experience and top certs. ALso, connection will be your biggest help.

The problem is the cost of living.
    For example. The pay in San jose and san francisco is around 160k to 200k depending on your experience, responsibilities (are you will to travel or not) credentials/certs and connection to the people.
    The problem is the cost of a house. 800k-1mil just for a 3 bedroom house in a good neighborhood. This is not even a brand new house.

In LA its right about the same pay. 130k-200k/yr. The 3 or more bedroom houses are 600k-800k. Then you still have to drive 45mins to an hour to get to your work.

I would love to work out there for a year or two just for the experience of being in that scene.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A 600k house seems like a steal to me.

Sincerely, a Canadian. Specifically, a Canadian from Vancouver.

A "2-bedroom" 730 square foot condo a block from me (I'm not even downtown/in the city core) was listed for 610k recently. It was gone in 3 days, and pretty sure went about 50k above asking.
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Houston and Texas are hot areas. Also Texas ranks as one of the top states for various things.

I don't understand this, its all helpdesk @14 per hr, yeah the admin here and there. Where are you seeing this ?
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blatini wrote: »

Dallas is hot as F right now, along with humidity
  • Options
    boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @tmtex good question maybe they know how to find IT jobs better
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    Rylee1246Rylee1246 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see a lot here in San antonio but they want clearances. Military city.
  • Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tmtex wrote: »
    Dallas is hot as F right now, along with humidity

I think we are going to take a trip out to DFW area and see if we can handle the humidity. :) Phoenix is pretty dry most of the year...except for monsoon season. I lived in Lubbock for some time... but... I think it was pretty dry as well. We survived Okinawa and the steaming jungle heat/humidity... just not sure about DFW. When do you guys start to cool down?

Hatch
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think we are going to take a trip out to DFW area and see if we can handle the humidity. :) Phoenix is pretty dry most of the year...except for monsoon season. I lived in Lubbock for some time... but... I think it was pretty dry as well. We survived Okinawa and the steaming jungle heat/humidity... just not sure about DFW. When do you guys start to cool down?

Hatch

October...
  • Options
    lilmansdadlilmansdad Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    What I've found for InfoSec, Atlanta, DC/Maryland/Virginia, and Dallas are the affordable hot areas (non-NY/CA), also NC and CO have a good amount of IT/InfoSec jobs. If you don't want to head out of Florida, Tampa is the best overall market for IT/InfoSec jobs in the state.

I have seen you mention Tampa in a few threads. Are you talking 5+ years of exp? Looking at different job boards?

Just asking, because I don't see all that much here(in full disclosure, I mainly look on Pinellas side)
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm in the northern Bay Area. Job market for IT is great. Bay Area overall is crazy. Biggest issue as others said in regards to CA is cost of living. Where I am at (40 mins north of SF) the home prices are getting insane.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    lilmansdad wrote: »
    I have seen you mention Tampa in a few threads. Are you talking 5+ years of exp? Looking at different job boards?

Just asking, because I don't see all that much here(in full disclosure, I mainly look on Pinellas side)

I looked mainly for InfoSec at the time, and yes I did have over 5+ years of experience so I was looking at mid to senior level roles at the time. Also I didn't find too much on the Pinellas side other than Raymond James and a few other health oriented companies. Most of them are on the other side of the bay. Citi and JP Morgan are right off 75 and always had tons of tech jobs. As well Verizon always had jobs, and a whole host of MSPs, and other companies.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    lilmansdadlilmansdad Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I looked mainly for InfoSec at the time, and yes I did have over 5+ years of experience so I was looking at mid to senior level roles at the time. Also I didn't find too much on the Pinellas side other than Raymond James and a few other health oriented companies. Most of them are on the other side of the bay. Citi and JP Morgan are right off 75 and always had tons of tech jobs. As well Verizon always had jobs, and a whole host of MSPs, and other companies.

Know f any MSP's that have a help desk? I am looking for something that does not require me to drive around a lot for a while while I learn all I can.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in the northern Bay Area. Job market for IT is great. Bay Area overall is crazy. Biggest issue as others said in regards to CA is cost of living. Where I am at (40 mins north of SF) the home prices are getting insane.

Just curious, is there a Bay Area city / neighborhood that is somewhat affordable in terms of home prices?
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    San Antonio and Huntsville are the few places InfoSec jobs have been calling me lately.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just curious, is there a Bay Area city / neighborhood that is somewhat affordable in terms of home prices?

Simple answer is no. If you want "Affordable" you will need to go about 90 + minutes from SF (North, East, South, or West).
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NYC. There are jobs posted all over indeed, but apparently you need 5-10 years experience in being an IT god to get anything worthwhile lol
  • Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    UK seems to have a real drought of IT professionals from what I can see. I got almost jumped on when my CV went online, and when I was offered my first job, I got immediately headhunted by another company who was interviewing me who added over £10k to my wage just to secure me. Come to the UK! ;)
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    middle, tn is pretty hot market, aside from the traffic
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons