Just wrote my Security+ exam 1 hr ago and...

SuperRed95SuperRed95 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed with a 766! This was my first attempt and like many stated, this exam is pretty tricky.

Resources I used:
- Darril Gibson's book and his premium online content ( Thank you for a great book and the premium content! )
-this sites's security+ practice questions

I had 7 sims and a total of 72 questions. The sims were presented right off the bat and I tackled them right away because I felt somewhat confident in them. Where things got tricky for me were the m/c questions. You really have to read the questions/scenarios slowly and carefully examine ALL of the options presented to you before choosing the right answer. I managed to complete the exam with 30 minutes left over and spent every minute of it reviewing my answers. Had to completely redo 1 sim and maybe changed answers to 3 questions.

Good luck to anyone who will be taking this exam in the near future!

Comments

• NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    congrats!!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SuperRed95 wrote: »
    I passed with a 766! This was my first attempt and like many stated, this exam is pretty tricky.

Resources I used:
    - Darril Gibson's book and his premium online content ( Thank you for a great book and the premium content! )
    -this sites's security+ practice questions

I had 7 sims and a total of 72 questions. The sims were presented right off the bat and I tackled them right away because I felt somewhat confident in them. Where things got tricky for me were the m/c questions. You really have to read the questions/scenarios slowly and carefully examine ALL of the options presented to you before choosing the right answer. I managed to complete the exam with 30 minutes left over and spent every minute of it reviewing my answers. Had to completely redo 1 sim and maybe changed answers to 3 questions.

Good luck to anyone who will be taking this exam in the near future!

Congrats. How long did it take you to study and do you have any security background?
  • SuperRed95SuperRed95 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It took me about 2 months putting in about 3 hrs a day. I've been a sys admin for about 5 years and many of the topics I can relate to which made it somewhat easier but it was still a tricky exam nevertheless.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome, congratulations!
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Akimbjj77Akimbjj77 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats man, just took my exam as well and got a 730! i must of missed it by one or two questions. Very frustrating but ready to attack this and learn new methods of learning this material. Any suggestions on diving deeper into the subjects by actually using some of this stuff practically?
  • SuperRed95SuperRed95 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Akimbjj77 wrote: »
    congrats man, just took my exam as well and got a 730! i must of missed it by one or two questions. Very frustrating but ready to attack this and learn new methods of learning this material. Any suggestions on diving deeper into the subjects by actually using some of this stuff practically?

Thanks all!

In terms of hands on experience, I'm sure you can set up some sort of lab environment which I didn't do so I can't really offer much help there. Concepts like least privilege, need to know, DRP, backups, cold and hot sites, networking etc., I've dealt with or experienced in my day to day job duties so those concepts came easier to me.

Advice I would give is to pick up Darril Gibson's book and pay to use his online premium content if you haven't already. If you have and you still feel you need extra material to get a better understanding of concepts, definitely check out Professor Messer's youtube videos on Security+. He has a plethora collection of training videos. I personally didn't use him because I discovered him late in my studying preparation but if I had failed my first attempt, he would have been my next choice of resource.

Best of luck on your next try!
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"