Finally got an offer

Rylee1246Rylee1246 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I finally got an offer for a full time it help desk job. It is for a dod contractor. The pay is 21.50/hr which I find to be pretty good. They are also going to get me a clearance. I am not sure how high of a clearance but any is better than none. Their medical is ridiculously expensive though. Hopefully after my clearance comes through, and I have some recent experience, I could parley that into a better paying position.

The hardest part about finding a position was not currently being in IT anymore, since I am in law enforcement, but that has now been solved!

Comments

• volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So.. this is more of a career change?

Well, congrats; but don't rest now.

Sometimes, Helpdesks can be Great places to learn (and move up).
    Other times... Not so much.

Keep your Eyes open, Learn as much as possible, and be ready to move on (when the time is right)
  • prdemonprdemon Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice! Congrats.
  • Rylee1246Rylee1246 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    So.. this is more of a career change?

Well, congrats; but don't rest now.

Sometimes, Helpdesks can be Great places to learn (and move up).
    Other times... Not so much.

Keep your Eyes open, Learn as much as possible, and be ready to move on (when the time is right)

Yeah career change back to IT. The help desk, according to the people I talked to, do general l1 help desk duties like password resets, but they said that they strive to have their l1 guys be able to solve more than that including active directory issues. So should be decent experience to maybe help toward a system admin. I want to get to security though. They also have a security team and I will be keeping my eyes peeled for those openings.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yay! Congrats!!icon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How much where you getting at your law enforcement job? We are about to get an intern for $22 per hour. Then again this is in infosec.
    Last year I made 60k. This year would have been more.
  • InCryptableInCryptable Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Was it your security+ cert that got you the job? I know that the Navy requires Sec+ at a minimum, as they follow the DoD 8570 manual for IT positions. As you continue in this field, look at some other certs that will increase your earning potential - https://www.sans.org/dodd-8570/
    It will be for the air force. They did want a security +.

I will be finishing my degree first but that will net me a sscp and ccsp as well as a itil foundations as well as an incident handler cert and encryption cert from ec council. After my degree I will either go for masters in cybersecurity or just go for certs. I want to get ceh for hr filters and dod stuff. I also want oscp and eventually cissp. Those g certs are expensive, so hopefully employer wants to pay!
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. How long have you been looking?
    Since around 11/16
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Glad to hear good things happening.