Best way to drop out of wgu?

What is the best way to stop going to wgu? Should I send in a short letter stating that I want to stop going? How do I make this easy as possible? The reason is I want to find a help desk job and actually earn experience. With wgu in the way I cannot get any work experience. Let me know what's the best way if I want to drop out.

Comments

• bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just my two cents, but I think you should study and earn your degree while finding a job to gain work experience. The knowledge you gain from the school can help boost your chances of landing the job you want.
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    You can easily email your mentor and they'll help you through the process but one thing I don't understand is why you can't do a helpdesk job and school after hours? I completely my WGU BS and MS while fully employed. It's totally doable - especially with a job like helpdesk where you won't be oncall for the most part.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I don't know your situation but I also say to keep going. I did my BS with a full time job (being on call), side gigs, a baby, friends, hobbies, etc. Similar with my MS.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I would think it would help your cause if you kept pursuing your degree. Would look good to potential employers. Nothing wrong with going part-time if you have to. I did when I finished my BS.
  • faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    So going Wgu and getting a helpdesk job at the same time is doable you say. Since you guys say it is then I'll just stick to School and find experience at the same time. Thanks you guys. 😀
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So going Wgu and getting a helpdesk job at the same time is doable you say. Since you guys say it is then I'll just stick to School and find experience at the same time. Thanks you guys. 

Great decision, you can do it!
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I don't know your situation but I also say to keep going. I did my BS with a full time job (being on call), side gigs, a baby, friends, hobbies, etc. Similar with my MS.

Same. If its only a helpdesk job then stick around and complete it no matter how incremental during your semesters. Any forward progress no matter how small is still progress!
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    So going Wgu and getting a helpdesk job at the same time is doable you say. Since you guys say it is then I'll just stick to School and find experience at the same time. Thanks you guys. 

Oh it's absolutely doable! I did the MSISA while working full-time, studying for other certs, kids (3), wife, house, hobbies, friends, etc. The only thing I had to give up was video games lol.

That's actually the sell of WGU, that it fits completely around your schedule.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ don't listen to this guy. His priorities are obviously wrong if he gave up games. icon_smile.gif
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A simple letter to your mentor should start the process......
  • skswitchskswitch Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I looked into it once and I believe you can ask for a break. Real life plays its role either financially, family and or others things that have to be sorted out. That's why WGU's flexibility was great for me.

To add to what already has been said:

- 40+hr work week
    - Single parent (full time custody)
    - Full time WGU

You can do this. Find your reason why you are wanting a degree. Think about that each time it gets rough to power through. The path isn't always going this happy, everything is going my way, glorious journey. Sometimes it sucks. Sometime classes suck that don't interest you. If you stick with it, you are going to learn things about yourself that you didn't think was there. If you give up now just to quit and are able to go, its going to be easy to quit on other things. Each class that is passed is going to build on that last one giving you more confidence that can be used going into the next hurdle.

This applies just about anything in life. If you want something bad enough you will find ways to adapt to achieve it. You got this.
  • IdRatherNotIdRatherNot Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would help but I think you're reason for dropping out isn't reasonable. Finish your degree my mans.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The best way to drop out of WGU is with your completed diploma. You can do it!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The best way to drop out of WGU is with your completed diploma. You can do it!

Quoted for truth.
  • ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can easily email your mentor and they'll help you through the process but one thing I don't understand is why you can't do a helpdesk job and school after hours? I completely my WGU BS and MS while fully employed. It's totally doable - especially with a job like helpdesk where you won't be oncall for the most part.

To an extent, it may depend on the helldesk job in question. I was at one place that was chill, very supportive (supervisor had gone through a B&M/online program while on helldesk, so he understood). I have also had other places that were sadistic pressure-cookers and would have had no energy for anything but staring at the wall after work. One possibility is to go part-time while testing out the helldesk, and add more classes if it seems doable.

However, a bad helldesk experience may give you motivation like you never imagined you could have. I have a picture of a particularly bad headset from a prior helldesk to remind me why I study. If I ever start to slack off from studying, all I need to do is look at that picture and I immediately remember what I've been working to escape.

Hope that helps
  • faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    I will finish WGU! Thanks for the advice! :D
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good to hear. As someone who has been in IT for ages, and is pursuing an MS from WGU now, I don't think you'll regret it. Experience and a degree(And certs) all go hand in hand
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I was in grad school I was working full time (with a regular on-call schedule) and a reservist. I made it work and finished in just over two years.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• disipdisip Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Stick with it!
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In addition to staying, let's also mention that once you get a job you might say Well I can't go back to school now, I'm working more! And it will never end!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    ^ don't listen to this guy. His priorities are obviously wrong if he gave up games. icon_smile.gif

Lol. Well I am making an honest effort to get back into them now!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Work 50+ hours a week, study for cisco certifications and go to school part-time.

It's not about having the time, it's about making the time.

Wish I could do the same for the gym lol
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    I left WGU when hired on by am employer who would pay for courses at a different school (which accepted three WGU courses for transfer credit) but wouldn't pay for WGU . My mentor was pretty disappointed since I was so close to graduating, but I didn't have the cash to spare.
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    working on my BS-ITSEC and working full time ( several layers up from the help desk these days) in Infosec (threat intel) in the financial services sector. Its about where you want to go in life. dont quit!
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Oh it's absolutely doable! I did the MSISA while working full-time, studying for other certs, kids (3), wife, house, hobbies, friends, etc. The only thing I had to give up was video games lol.

That's actually the sell of WGU, that it fits completely around your schedule.

Sounds like we're in similar situations... And the worst part is - my "to play" pile keeps getting bigger! I still haven't finished Fallout 4 or MGS 5. Or started GTA 5 or Stellaris.

Only one more year... finish up summer, then fall, then spring, then DONE!
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow