Would it help to study Comptia Network+ and CCNA at the same time?

Mr TeapotMr Teapot Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

First time poster here.

I've recently enrolled on a CCNA night class course, which runs for 2 years. I have no IT qualifications what so ever, I messed about a school and never returned to get qualified, kicking myself now.

Anyway, a little bit of background on me. I have worked with computers for roughly 25 years. I've pretty much done everything a tech would do in that time (build/repair/upgrades etc etc). I have also worked with networks for a while. I'm pretty familiar with routers, static ips, port forwarding, VPN's, switches, LAN's and WIFI extenders (that's just off the top of my head from what I can remember). I'm certainly no expert with networking, more heavily experienced in home settings (LAN's etc) than anything else.

I wanted to get the comptia network+, another qualification to help with getting a job in the IT sector. There is a course near me which also starts around the same time as the CCNA course, tho it only runs for 17 weeks. Would it be wise to sit network+ and CCNA at the same time?

I'm thinking it would benefit in familiarizing me with networking, the extra study time via a tutor would go a long way. Being self trained as such I feel (not properly trained) the extra night class would be a great deal of benefit, granted the course may end up going in different directions, the fundamentals are still the same. I really want to give myself the best possible shot at passing this CCNA course.

Do you think I would benefit taking both courses?

I appreciate the help.

Ps. I've recently started studying towards the Comptia a+ too.

Thanks

Comments

• JLR123JLR123 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Absolutely, Take them both at the same time. The first book in the CCNA track with netacad is "Introduction to Networks". Its networking, they throw in a few things specific to Cisco such as configuring a Cisco switch, but it also covers subnetting, the 7 layers of the OSI model, and topologies which will be beneficial when taking the Network +

Good Luck
  • Mr TeapotMr Teapot Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's great to hear.

I appreciate the reply.

Thanks!
  • ThePuterGeekThePuterGeek Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take both classes. It cannot hurt. Good Luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
  • AlimusiAlimusi Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    old but gold
    iam doing the same 😁 broh
  • dotPHdotPH Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im on the same boat. Im currently studying on CCENT and I have a Net+ subject in WGU. The fundamentals in Cisco and Net+ is pretty much the same but Net+ has broader scope. I just passed Net+ this morning and what I can say is that, Net+ exam focuses on Network management, troubleshooting and security. My Net+ test is pretty much scenario questions. Focus on understanding the concepts it will help you a lot.
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Having the Net+ has really really helped me out with the CCENT thus far, I am almost exclusively able to focus all of my energy on configurations.

I really really dove into the Net+ topics though and I used 3-4 different sources as well so that helped.

And honestly, I would focus on getting the A+ first because once you cover the Net+ topics you want to dive right into Cisco without missing a beat.

Get the A+ first then the net+ and then the Cisco cert. I went net+ first, then A+ and now CCENT however I wish I did what I said you should do now.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How do you havr 25 years of experience and only now are looking for an IT job? You mention performing tasks a tech would do but where were you doing those tasks for 25 years?

How much is that CCNA 2 year course cost anyway? For how many hours a week? In 2 years they better teach you more than CCNA level skills. Many people here have completed the course in 6 months or less and those with some experience even faster.

Sounds like a money grab if it takes 2 years. You could finish an A.S in networking plus CCNA in 2 years.
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
  • crimsonavengercrimsonavenger Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have that experience you don't really need the A+ cert, its worthless if you already know what you're doing and have the experience to back it up. The main thing that it offers, that spills over into the network side is knowing your protocol ports. As far as the Network+ I don't even think you need to sit both classes, just grab the Sybex book and study it on the side, and it will help you with your Cisco track at the same time. You can probably sit and pass the Network+ exam faster than 17 weeks if you are already at a good knowledgeable starting point.