Options

the "Password" and the "Login" command

soulchild10011soulchild10011 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is the 'login' command always set before the 'password' or afterwards?
icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Options
    kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dont think it matters login just tells the router that a login is required. You can use it before or after.
    There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.
  • Options
    lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mostly it doesn't matter much, and if you set login first IOS will reorder them in the config anyway, but...

If you set login first you get an annoying little warning:
    % Login disabled on line 0, until 'password' is set

You can avoid that by getting in the habit of setting the password first.

Also, I have actually seen someone lock themselves out of a router by setting login first, and then getting disconnected for some reason before they set the password. icon_sad.gif Not an everyday occurrence, but it can happen.
  • Options
    kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "Also, I have actually seen someone lock themselves out of a router by setting login first, and then getting disconnected for some reason before they set the password. Not an everyday occurrence, but it can happen."

Well..that's wierd.

OK well let's see i apply the login command first before the password command, and get disconnected...ohh yeah I'm locked out(practically) but hey....i did'nt save my configuration so a simple power reset should do the trick. From a theorectic standpoint whats the odds of doing a "copy ru start" after the login command. All in all its really no big deal...however you feel comfortable.
    There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kenny504 wrote:
    "Also, I have actually seen someone lock themselves out of a router by setting login first, and then getting disconnected for some reason before they set the password. Not an everyday occurrence, but it can happen."

Well..that's wierd.

OK well let's see i apply the login command first before the password command, and get disconnected...ohh yeah I'm locked out(practically) but hey....i did'nt save my configuration so a simple power reset should do the trick. From a theorectic standpoint whats the odds of doing a "copy ru start" after the login command. All in all its really no big deal...however you feel comfortable.

If you're remotely configuring the router and lock yourself out you're screwed ;) it's just good practice to set the password before you set login.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you're remotely configuring a router and making any major changes that could cause you to lose connectivity, it's a good idea to use the "reload in xx" command in combination with the "reload cancel" command.

Check out Tip #3 in this O'Reilly guide for a how-to

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2002/01/02/ciscotips.html

Of course you want to make sure that a reload doesn't create more havoc than your loss of access does.

:)