WGU cybersecurity

Tonytone6929Tonytone6929 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

This is my first post. Great forums btw!!! Anyways I been lurking the forums for about 2 months and now decided to join the family. Now, I am going to start at WGU cyber security and IA program in august.

If anyone is currently taking it and or has taken it please PM me. I would like to know a few things as far as tricks to get thru this faster and how to go about studying some of the material. No I do not need to ****, just want to know who I can turn to in case I have some questions...

The program is 127 units and I can only transfer 15, also wanted to know about what is the normal units I can squeeze out of a term? I know this depends on me, but a baseline would help me Gauge.

Again thanks guys, I will start a thread once I am officially enrolled and started.

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's a brand new program so I doubt many people can give you much insight but all the same general rules of WGU acceleration apply. Start digging into the material as soon as you have access to it, ask the course mentors for tips as you need them, have as much pending in taskstream as you can handle at once so you aren't always waiting for them.

As for time line, I feel like I always have the same answer for this, no one can tell you this. You might be brilliant, you might not. You might study hard, you might not. You might have great study skills and knowledge retention, you might also have terrible. You might have 10+ years in the field, or be completely brand new. I could go on and on but really, do the best you can do, learn everything you can, then you'll know how much you can handle. Don't get 100% hung up on the speed, no one but you knows what you're capable of.
  • Tonytone6929Tonytone6929 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow thanks for the reply! Yes you are correct it is hard to gauge that. But it might be a bit too much for me as far as taking cyber security because I don't have experience on that area. All I have is 2 certs sec plus and mcsa server. Thinking about it information security will be a better fit possibly for me since I do want to work for the security field.

I have a lot of thinking to do... I do not have good study skills. I get easily distracted which is something I have to learn to buckle down...

What program did you take ?
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did the IT Security one but this was years ago. I don't know that one is going to be harder vs another but you'll want to take a strong look at the easily distracted and bad study skills part more than anything when going to WGU.
  • infosec123infosec123 Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Based on your credit count, I assume you are going for the Bachelors?
    infosec123 wrote: »
    Based on your credit count, I assume you are going for the Bachelors?
    Yes sir, but quickly thinking about switching to IT sec now
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I did the IT Security one but this was years ago. I don't know that one is going to be harder vs another but you'll want to take a strong look at the easily distracted and bad study skills part more than anything when going to WGU.
    Well I might be switching to the program you took soon