Options

A good online Masters in Cyber Security/ Information Assurance

drewwooddrewwood Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good Evening,
I am in the process of doing my CISSP certification and I am in the need of an online program in cyber security. So far I was considering the following institutions:

UMUC Cyber-security Technology Master's DegreeMaster of Science in Information Assurance & Cyber-security at Nova Southeastern
Bellevue University’s Master of Science in Cyber-security

I am interested to know if any persons have done any of these programmes and could share their experiences, which I can use to make a final decision. The reason I selected these Universities is that they seem to be accredited, can be done by completely by distance and were quite affordable in comparison to other programmes.

thanx!

Comments

• Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    University of Delaware has an online Masters in Cybersecurity program. There is a requirement for the GRE to get into, but if you have previous experience and certs to go along with it, you can get a waiver for the GRE req. Courses last 7 weeks, and bring a lot of good, real-world assignments in the classes. Right now, I'm 1/3 of the way finished with the program.

M.S. in Cybersecurity Online | University of Delaware

One thing that I found with one of these schools students in the program with no real-world IT experience. Many of the students were coming from different job backgrounds trying to "break into" IT with the degree program. A lot of these highly publicized schools are allowing "warm bodies" with a Bachelor's to enroll into some of these programs that shouldn't be in there in the first place.

Remember that accredited and low cost doesn't always mean quality. As with any degree program, you want to do your research first. I would suggest you talk to the enrollment people at these schools and ask them about lab environments for classes. You should be able to create and manage your own lab environment without any issues, as you should be able to do in the real world.

I'll probably get some grief for my post...but it stems from personal experience and not opinion.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would look into Penn State- Penn State Online | Information Sciences - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance Master of Professional Studies

I know a guy who completed this and said Penn State world campus is top notch.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have to recommend Dakota State University's Masters in Applied Computer Science. If you are looking for a technical degree that is affordable and top notch there is no one better. My old boss is in their Doctorate program and has not a bad thing to say. Also, some of the things he's been learning has blown my mind.

Master of Science in Applied Computer Science | Dakota State University
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff