Desktop/Infrastructure engineer interview! Advice needed

NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
Hey guys,

I have an interview coming up for a desktop and infrastructure engineer position with a technical test.

Grateful for any advice from members who have worked in desktop and/or infrastructure engineer positions.

I've worked in mainly 1st line positions so I'm naturally very excited but worried about what could be on the technical test.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Comments

• blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    A desktop infrastructure engineer? Those seem to be wildly different roles.

I would probably just focus on whatever was in the job description, company details, and personal growth / staying current.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    ALWAYS be prepared for a test in an interview. Remember to ask a lot of questions to them as well.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently an Infrastructure Analyst in a manufacturing environment and love it. My team covers anything on the network, servers, ups's, desktops, printers, routing/switching and all peripherals. They are paying for my CCNA in the next month or 2 so I'm currently studying for that because they want somebody on site that can do more Cisco related task instead of calling our corporate NOC team. Good luck man, ask questions and tell them your eager to learn!!
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A lot of desktop and support in general come down to how you handle stress and communication with end users.

I'd expect to see some basic troubleshooting skills on the test. Most of these that I've set up include scenarios where the following come up-

Use of IPCONFIG command: Bad default gateway being used or having a funky static IP vs. going DHCP.
    Adding machines to a domain.
    DNS issues- Either wrong or bad DNS servers being used.
    Printing issues- Print spooler service stopped and needs to be started.
    Cable being unplugged- Either the a PC, monitor, or network cable.

Again, I've set up and had to do a couple of these technical interview deals over the years. I've seen some where they just ask you to write down your thought process and troubleshooting steps and others that have a live lab.

Good luck!
  • NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement.

I really hope I get the position.
  • NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    Hey guys,

I did very well on the technical test, scored most correctly but struggled with some of the face to face questions such as providing examples to certain situations.

I don't think I will get it this time but more determined to improve and get the next one!

I should get feedback next week and I will let you guys know anyhow.

Many thanks,