C# Interview Questions?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I have a buddy who is graduating (Comp Sci) and has an interview for a programming position. He knows C#, but this is the first technical interview he has ever had and he'd like to have an idea of what he should prepare for. So any C# people out there that could post some interview questions you would ask of an entry level programmer?
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I have a buddy who is graduating (Comp Sci) and has an interview for a programming position. He knows C#, but this is the first technical interview he has ever had and he'd like to have an idea of what he should prepare for. So any C# people out there that could post some interview questions you would ask of an entry level programmer?

I have some C# background. C# fits somewhere between a scripting language (like Perl) and a full-blown programming language (like C++). The needs of an organization that uses C# varies widely, but generally these tend to be shorter-term (a year or less) projects.

Company Focus> I would suggest trying to ascertain what IDE (Visual Studio, Monodevelop, etc.) and libraries/functionality that company uses frequently and at least knowing the basics of those.

Practical Application> Obviously, he should be prepared to write accurate programs on a whiteboard that do things like reverse a list, parse something, display a pattern, etc.

Up to date> There are several versions of C#/.NET. I'd suggest knowing what the latest versions offer. Be prepared to discuss commands in the standard libraries that C# offers.

CompSci background> As a CS student, he should be comfortable with control and data structures including loops, conditionals, lists and arrays. Be prepared to discuss OOP, data encapsulation, templates, and modularity. Be ready to talk design, debugging, and documentation practices.

Experience> If he has a good sample project of moderate size, be prepared to explain or demo it.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In the simple whiteboard programming demonstration, you see questions like these--

1. Write a procedure that, given two letters as parameters, displays all the letters in-between in this format: "c, d, e*, f, g". Vowels are marked with an asterisk.

2. Create a family of objects representing four types of vehicles, their attributes, and their behaviors. Use proper, compileable code.

The goal isn't to see whether he can do these; the goal is to see how he does these.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NetworkVeteran thanks a lot man! I forwarded your information along to my buddy! Rep added accordingly!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NetworkVeteran gave some good questions...kudos. I would say he needs to have a grasp on how to bind data and parse data. That will be the crux of what he will begin doing. Data encapsulation, data structures, instantiation are also general concepts he should be able to discuss as well

I would also have to say knowing basic programming jargon and the functionality of each is important, such as....

What is a method?
    What is an object?
    What is an array?
    What is polymorphism?

Explain the three services model commonly known as a a three-tier application?

How do you inherit from a class in C#?

What is the top .NET class that everything is inherited from?
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Xcluziv wrote: »
    NetworkVeteran gave some good questions...kudos. I would say he needs to have a grasp on how to bind data and parse data. That will be the crux of what he will begin doing. Data encapsulation, data structures, instantiation are also general concepts he should be able to discuss as well

I would also have to say knowing basic programming jargon and the functionality of each is important, such as....

What is a method?
    What is an object?
    What is an array?
    What is polymorphism?

Explain the three services model commonly known as a a three-tier application?

How do you inherit from a class in C#?

What is the top .NET class that everything is inherited from?

This is good advice. Just dont describe polymorphism as turning something into a sheep and you are on to a winner!

"Explain the three services model commonly known as a a three-tier application?"

This is really really important though ^^ If your friend can answer all of this above its good.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks again guys, passed the information along, he's on his own now lol
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • chriselvisschriselviss Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hope this will help you....C# Interview Questions

Elvis
  • danielrosendanielrosen Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there,

In my last technical interview, these questions were asked by me, hope it will help you too. 

What is C#?

C# pronounced as "See Sharp". It is an object-oriented programing language developed by Microsoft, which runs under the .NET platform. Its syntaxes are similar to C++ or Java. The most recent version of C# is 7.3 which is introduced with Visual Studio 2017 update 15.7. C# is widely used for developing web applications, desktop applications, mobile apps, and games, etc. Now, C# can be run on Mac, Linux/Unix and Windows using .NET Core.

What are the advantages of C# over Java?

The advantage of C# over java is given below :

• C# offers cross-language interoperability or mixed language programming (Java lacking).

• C#directly supports windows operating system (Java lacking).

• C# is component-oriented language integrated support for the writing of software support.

• C# support pointer as unsafe (Java lacking it).

What do you mean by Object?

An object is a representative of the class and is responsible for memory allocation of its data members and member functions. An object is a real-world entity having attributes (data members) and behaviors (member functions).

For example, a student object can have attributes name, address, and contact number. It performs activities attending class, giving the exam, etc.

• ghostrider17ghostrider17 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I know it's too late to reply to this thread, but stumbled across this while searching something about C# and could benefit someone who lands up here like I did:D
    Questions would differ from company to company I suppose, could refer to questions asked in previous interviews for that company on similar sites like glassdoor..There are plenty of resources online though, one site that really helped me during my initial years was Interviewbit, can check out their questions on their site footer.