Options

Teaching kids to fix computers

ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
A few years ago I had the idea to start teaching youth how to fix computers I was going to start a nonprofit and make it happen ran to a few road blocks but now my church is opening a community center so I have a place to host it and I'm gathering equipment my question is what books and videos have you guys used to pass the test? It's been 6 years since I took the test I know the material still just not newest books and resources any other tips are greatly appreciated
I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

Comments

• Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd recommend Professor Messer. His videos are free, they're comprehensive and his exam notes are super-affordable ($10 per exam) and very relevant. If students are willing to pay a little, they can join his study sessions and group discussions. You might suggest CBT Nuggets, as they offer a one week free trial and it'd be great review just before the exam. Personally, I like ITpro.tv, because the content is well delivered, thorough, and the subscription entails 2 Transcender Exams monthly. I've gathered that Darrel Gibson has excellent content in his books, from this site. Perhaps that's a solid approach that's not too expensive. Being an individual and not a huge corporation, it couldn't hurt to contact him and see about discounts for group-orders and pitch it to the congregation to permit requesting donations or setting up a jar for such a fund. Surely these kids' parents would be willing to contribute. Lastly, I'd recommend getting an Exam Cram book. The one I had was about $17 on Amazon (or half.com?) and had 5 practice tests per exam. It was decent content and could easily be re-used from student to student.

I appreciate the work you're doing and wish you luck!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »
    I'd recommend Professor Messer. His videos are free, they're comprehensive and his exam notes are super-affordable ($10 per exam) and very relevant. If students are willing to pay a little, they can join his study sessions and group discussions. You might suggest CBT Nuggets, as they offer a one week free trial and it'd be great review just before the exam. Personally, I like ITpro.tv, because the content is well delivered, thorough, and the subscription entails 2 Transcender Exams monthly. I've gathered that Darrel Gibson has excellent content in his books, from this site. Perhaps that's a solid approach that's not too expensive. Being an individual and not a huge corporation, it couldn't hurt to contact him and see about discounts for group-orders and pitch it to the congregation to permit requesting donations or setting up a jar for such a fund. Surely these kids' parents would be willing to contribute. Lastly, I'd recommend getting an Exam Cram book. The one I had was about $17 on Amazon (or half.com?) and had 5 practice tests per exam. It was decent content and could easily be re-used from student to student.

I appreciate the work you're doing and wish you luck!

I agree completely !
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    davec8080davec8080 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Clm wrote: »
    A few years ago I had the idea to start teaching youth how to fix computers I was going to start a nonprofit and make it happen ran to a few road blocks but now my church is opening a community center so I have a place to host it and I'm gathering equipment my question is what books and videos have you guys used to pass the test? It's been 6 years since I took the test I know the material still just not newest books and resources any other tips are greatly appreciated

Interesting project. Are you teaching kids to fix computers, or are you preparing them to get A+ certified? There's a huge difference, there. Your post doesn't make it clear. Even the best A+ video course is going to bore kids to tears, unless they REALLY are into the whole idea of achieving the A+ certification, for some odd reason. Most kids these days don't have the attention span to obtain a certification in shoe tieing. That's why velcro had to be invented. And I hope you aren't going to encourage kids to read a ~2000-page A+ prep book. That's just asking for headaches you do not need. (!)

If I was going to teach kids to do this, I'd probably handle it this way...
    Offer free PC repair service (charge for parts, only). When the broken computers start pouring in, you talk kids through fixing them (but make them do it). Real, hands-on experience. Plus people get their computers fixed cheap. Everybody wins.

Now if they really want to obtain A+ certification? There is no program I'm aware of that is going to be fit for "youth". But your idea is very interesting. You might want to contact somebody like Mike Meyers (totalsem.com) to see if he has any suggestions on how to teach kids for A+. Who knows? He might even want to get involved in that project personally...
    If you've seen Mike Meyers videos or read his books, you would know what I mean...he is a unique individual, and definitely has the personality (if anyone does) to teach kids how to fix computers OR help kids to prepare for A+ cert. But even the Mike Meyers courses (as they currently exist) might not be perfectly suited for youth, yet.