Options

Need an 'industry cert' for new job.. looking for suggestions.

ck86ck86 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I recently started a job as a sub contractor DoD System Administrator that requires both a Security+ and relevant 'industry certification'. I'll be getting the Security+ within the next couple of weeks but need to figure out what I'm going to do for the industry cert. From what I understand it is a pretty loose requirement of just something related to the tech we're using. Given this I am not sure which cert to pursue. I'd like something that isn't worthless elsewhere but also that won't require a ton of study time. A large part of my job will be managing HPE Data Protector, for which there is a cert, but it is $300 and will be useless in a position that doesn't use that specific backup software.

The technologies we use include: Windows/Linux servers, NetApp, VMware, HPE DataProtector

I do have a fairly extensive Windows server background, some VMware, and little NetApp. Other options are ITIL or security-related certs.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    mdhisapromdhisapro Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are simply trying to put a check in the box, why not pickup a VCA? I mean they are like $160 bucks and non-proctored. Can be studied for in a matter of days/weeks and I imagine would fit the bill for what youre trying to get. Just my .02
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Get the easiest one!
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Another vote for the VCA. Unproctored, you can do online from home. It's not a great cert, but it's easy enough if you have the experience.

Otherwise, one of the many Windows options, and pick whichever best matches your experience. If you are thinking longer term, then choose something that could be a path to an MCSE.

ITIL is a safe bet for 'generic' cert. It doesn't expire (well, they might release a new version in the future which would make the current one less relevant).

There's a Linux Essentials certification from LPI. It doesn't have a lot of recognition, but it's a good starting place for Linux and doesn't expire. It is one level below LPIC-1/Linux+. If you are more eager then RHCSA or the Linux Foundations LFCS are good choices for something with longer term value.

The choice depends a little on how much work you want to put into it, and how long term you are looking.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM