Each level you go up it gets exponentially more difficult

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
My abbreviated progress was sort of like this.

Pre IT (Worked as a supply chain analyst, more on the finance side).

Transitioned into Help Desk (1 month and I was ramped up, 3 months it was old news).
Desktop Support (Similar time frame as above)
Infrastructure Manager (6 month ramp up before I was firing on all cylinders).
Senior BA (Database Analyst), almost a year before I was really providing value
Senior Business Intelligence Analyst, the learning curve is steep. I fully anticipate another year before I am really kicking arse.

Just curious how your transitions have been? Any particular jump more difficult for you that others?

I can only imagine how much the architects have to know.

Comments

• hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Going from desktop support to network engineer was incredibly tough due to the crazy complex environment. Took half a year to even being remotely useful. Being the "infrastructure architect" (aka sole network engineer) for a half billion dollar company caused me to have a panic attack on the second day, because when you realize a 25 year old kid is running the entire network with help from no one is quite terrifying. I settled in OK though, environment is not that sophisticated. Literally stuff was broken on day two, so there was no waiting around to get comfortable. They had no one for a month or two and the problems just piled up in the mean time. I have no business handling contract negotiations and stuff like that either, yet I have to be the one to do it. It's weird.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm in a similar situation at the moment.

It's data model after data model. Reports, different technologies and architect. Processes and culture......

It's tough, but I just try to keep the mind set, I can do what I can do and that is it. I'm also in month one so it's in that worthless feeling stage......
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm about 7 weeks into an Infrastructure Analyst role and I'm still getting used to layout, topologies, and organizational structure. I feel useful with some stuff, others not so much. I'm happy though and my team is very approachable and helpful. They are also paying for my CCNA so that's a nice plus.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Interesting. I volunteered to the Network Administrator for the lab I was at, from there, due to the fact my son was born etc, I had to go part-time after awhile, so I went to be a part-time network assistant. Lower pay, but boy did I learn a lot. because of budget cuts, I was laid off, so I could not find comparable IT jobs and the economy sucked. In that period, I was a part-time church secretary (ugh), then a part-time admin assistant/IT (it was 15 hours a week).
    Then, I helped with a year-long migration project at the base I formally worked at where I met up with my former boss. Then, I as a programmer analyst->Database Manager->Business Analyst->Jr Systems Admin/DBA-> and now a Systems Admin in a pre-production/DEV/TEST environment
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Interesting. I volunteered to the Network Administrator for the lab I was at, from there, due to the fact my son was born etc, I had to go part-time after awhile, so I went to be a part-time network assistant. Lower pay, but boy did I learn a lot. because of budget cuts, I was laid off, so I could not find comparable IT jobs and the economy sucked. In that period, I was a part-time church secretary (ugh), then a part-time admin assistant/IT (it was 15 hours a week).
    Then, I helped with a year-long migration project at the base I formally worked at where I met up with my former boss. Then, I as a programmer analyst->Database Manager->Business Analyst->Jr Systems Admin/DBA-> and now a Systems Admin in a pre-production/DEV/TEST environment
    Wow you have worn a lot of hats!!! You truly are a nomad!
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Wow you have worn a lot of hats!!! You truly are a nomad!
    LOL, you can say that.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • hxhxhxhx Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is true. IT is a marathon full of sprints. Keep building your skills and your knowledge. There is more you could learned at each level (this is not criticism). Keep taking it in. Keep working hard. Your powers will grow. icon_surprised.gif
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hxhx wrote: »
    IT is a marathon full of sprints.
    This guy scrums
    LeBroke wrote: »
    This guy scrums

Or he is really into the HIIT workout.

Okay okay I agree he scrums....