Options

ECSA review

Comments

• Options
    Feras_mzFeras_mz Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Mike
    I'm having my ECSA exam next week, do you have any thing to share which could help in passing the exam
    Best regards
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Feras_mz wrote: »
    Hi Mike
    I'm having my ECSA exam next week, do you have any thing to share which could help in passing the exam
    Study your course materials. Good luck for your exam.
  • Options
    su.jinsu.jin Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have activated ECSA dashboard and the assignments seems quite hard. Also the report writing must be a lengthy work. Any word or suggestion on that.
  • Options
    Hello Mike, first of all congrats for passing the ECSA. I have just started with the ECSA journey. Activated the ECSA dashboard and downloaded the sample report within which there was 3 folders and multiple folders within it. Few were empty and few had 1-2 files within it.
    I wanted to ask if we need to upload the report in that same format of files filling up the folders and files.
    Also is the pen-test assignments same to all?
  • Options
    su.jin wrote: »
    Hello Mike, first of all congrats for passing the ECSA. I have just started with the ECSA journey. Activated the ECSA dashboard and downloaded the sample report within which there was 3 folders and multiple folders within it. Few were empty and few had 1-2 files within it.
    I wanted to ask if we need to upload the report in that same format of files filling up the folders and files.
    Also is the pen-test assignments same to all?

For me, there is only one Word report to submit and I used the "Sample Penetration Testing Report.doc" file. Please do not ask me how to do the assignment. You need to invest time and effort researching and figuring out how to solve the challenges. Good luck and hope you enjoy the challenges.
  • Options
    scascscasc Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Everyone seems to be asking Mike for help lolzzz.

Surely through research, reading and perseverance you can all get across the finish line? Best of luck to you all moving forward, think of it being an actual work assignment where you are stuck and need to come up with a solution.
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
  • Options
    scasc wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be asking Mike for help lolzzz.
    Seems that this forum post is one of the top Google results for "ECSA review". I do get some friend and Facebook requests. icon_rolleyes.gif Maybe I should charge EC-C for promoting their certification.
  • Options
    Thanks Mike, I got confused with other files and folders too..
    Yes I would surely love to enjoy with the assignments..:)
    Will keep updated with my journey
  • Options
    Mike7 wrote: »
    Seems that this forum post is one of the top Google results for "ECSA review". I do get some friend and Facebook requests. icon_rolleyes.gif Maybe I should charge EC-C for promoting their certification.

Ha..ha..Yes you can...You should approach EC-Council too with a proposition on it..Its a good idea with usefulness of forum and groups.icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    walterg74walterg74 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□

Hi Mike,

I took the course and I am working on the challenges/report.

I hve already completed Day 1 / Challenge 1, but I am stuck on 2 places in Day 2 / Challenges 2/3/4

For Challenge 2, I compromised the machine, gor the file and hash, no problem. But for the pictures, I found them and downloaded them, but while I assume the "messages" it tals about have to do with steganography, I cannot for the likes of me find any tool to try anything with!!! What tool(s) can you use? Googling seems to always point to "steghide" which is not included and of course cannot be installed icon_sad.gif

For challenge 3, no clue what to try on that web server... Got a tip to find hidden directories so will try that path

Challenge 4 was done, no issues there.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks!!!
  • Options
    Has anyone done challenge 2? What tools did you use?
  • Options
    I know I'm supposed to use steganography, but I cannot find any tools for it (and of course you cannot install any new ones)
  • Options
    Attached to the Windows VM is a DVD of tools. :)
  • Options
    Attached to the Windows VM is a DVD of tools. :)

Hi Mike,

Yes, I know that...

The problem was searching for "steg" or similar only found 1 program which required internet installation (and as you know, there is no internet access from the vms)

Someone mentioned another program to me and I found it and was able to use it. The annoying thing is that his program also contained "steg" within the name/filename and it did not appear on the search as it should...

Anyway, done now and had my report approved, so now onto the exam in a few...
  • Options
    jkaspjkasp Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have taken the official course at the Hacker Halted event in 2016. It was for v9 and all the materials reflected that. We setup ilabs on day one, and the pace was pretty breakneck from there on out, doing the daily labs. We talked about the challenge lab and were encouraged to attempt the challenges each night. We were given some generic pointers in some of the early challenges as far as methodology goes, but no specific answers.

I had recently passed all my lab challenges. I submitted my report and was approved promptly. I simply changed the sample to reflect the challenge lab "company info" and added in my findings for each challenge towards the end of the report. I am scheduled to take the test in about 5 days. within the aspen site, you can download pdfs for modules 1-39 that cover all sorts of topics. my book is only printed up to module 16, which is what we covered in class.

I am curious if the exam covers much from modules 17-39. That is a LOT of testable material (just modules 1-16 printed take up 669 pages). I will update after my experience next week.
  • Options
    FrogpuppetFrogpuppet Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started with the challenges today. I've done OSCP and I found even the start confusing. Discovering "other" subsets was hopeless. I let 10.0.0.0/8 and 172.16.0.0/12 run overnight and got nothing. I found a reference to 10.10.10.1&10.10.10.2 on a machine as well as 192.168.177.1, but could not tech any of the ips. Even stranger, while I could ping the def gw and it would respond, it would not respond to trace route. Any chance my lab virtual config is messed up?
  • Options
    Frogpuppet wrote: »
    I started with the challenges today. I've done OSCP and I found even the start confusing. Discovering "other" subsets was hopeless. I let 10.0.0.0/8 and 172.16.0.0/12 run overnight and got nothing.

Believe when you exit iLabs, your VM are suspended and the scanning stops. See my earlier post
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I too would like to know the name of the setganalysis tool to use as I cant seem to find it within the provided tools and the version of Kali they give us doesnt have steganalysis tools installed on it.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    Arczi84Arczi84 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all,

I am starting that challenges part as well. Scanning was even fast and all machines were find, so I can continue with next tasks.
    Just find those jpg images and I am trying to get some info from them, for now strings, binwalk, exiftool did not help too much ;)
    Mike any advices? Of course I am not asking for solution :) Small light in the tunnel will enough and rest will stay in my fingers.

I am wondering what will be next :D

Take care guys and good luck all of you who already works on those games :)
  • Options
    To all ECSA challenge candidates,

Please do not ask for more hints via this forum thread or via PM. The value of ECSA challenge comes from the researching, reading, trying different approaches and persevering. You learn more when you are stuck and are able to figure out why a certain exploit/approach does not work than from gaining access by blindly running all the tools and MSF exploits. Good luck and hope you gain from the experience..
  • Options
    scascscasc Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How about teaching this Mike - since everyone is asking you questions about :).
    Could generate some extra income.
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
  • Options
    scasc wrote: »
    How about teaching this Mike - since everyone is asking you questions about :).
    Could generate some extra income.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskNetsec/comments/6n7b70/what_to_do_when_you_feel_like_giving_up_am_i_just/
  • Options
    Alex22Alex22 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This thread has already provided enough clues to work our brains out to clear simple lab exams just like it happened to me and few silent visitors who already cleared their exams.

Should you ask for more clues or assistance, then trust me your basics aint that strong to crack ECSA exam.

Nothing comes easy, learn and never give up. all the best!
  • Options
    ramaiddcramaiddc Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been working on the challenge 10 & 11 for more than 4 days. Please help me on how to proceed. Thanks
  • Options
    ramaiddc wrote: »
    I have been working on the challenge 10 & 11 for more than 4 days. Please help me on how to proceed. Thanks
    Please email aspencert@eccouncil.org with your questions. Thanks
  • Options
    moudanemoudane Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great review Mr Mike, really appreciate your inputs.
    It is always great to have return of experience since the ECSA seems not to be well known and documented as CEH.
    I am actually on challenges and I extend the deadline once to complete them, it has been a bit more difficult than I thought to be honest icon_cry.gif, and as you said it those challenges need a lot of research and reading. Hopefully in october I will post a comment here stating that I passed the parctical exam. Wish me luck guys and good luck to all candidates. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    jdsecengjdseceng Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For those who are currently going through the official training for ECSA v9 with access to the Labs with the courseware, don't forget that the labs themselves are a fully functional emulated environment that spans over multiple subnets. You can connect to the lab and practice anything you want outside of the lab module steps. This is a good opportunity to practice host discovery (keep a spreadsheet and see how long it takes to discover /XX range and find out what helps your scans and what doesn't) and ideally any other course domain you're not too comfortable with prior to your lab challenge.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

J
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Hi all,

I didn't want to create a new thread for my question. My workplace is paying me to go to a ECSA week long boot camp going over many of the topics and they stated the certification exam is at the end. Is their no book material for this exam or is it strictly lab / practical exam? Thank you for any assistance.
  • Options
    You can read my review which is the first post in this thread. I have to submit hands on lab report before they allow me to take the MCQ exam.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Thank you Mike,

I did read the main post. I was confused by my bootcamp then because I would be taking the exam at the end. So the bootcamp itself must be going through these lab's together and submit the report by the end. Thank u for your assistance.