Options

Ports required to know

coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
Looking at the Objectives 1.4 Given a scenario, implement common protocols and services and I only see a few ports listed there.
Ports
Does it mean it will only ask on these? What about 445 SMB/69 TFTP/49 TACACS/the most important 23 Telnet and others?
"If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You will be asked any one of those...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    And don't just learn them for the exam, you'll need to know these for the rest of your career.
  • Options
    Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Learn the extra ones too. I had questions related to port 69. Just extend your study and learn the secure ports for email too and others. Darril Gibson has a good list of ports to know.
  • Options
    bEastCoastbEastCoast Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Learn the extra ones too. I had questions related to port 69. Just extend your study and learn the secure ports for email too and others. Darril Gibson has a good list of ports to know.

+1 This. Darril's list is the way to go.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I second this about Darril.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Always learn more than what's required for the exam. It'll pay off in the long run. At least, that's what has worked for me.

I suggest learning these: 20, 21, 22, 23, 25, 43, 49, 53, 67, 68, 69, 80, 88, 110, 119, 123, 137-139, 143, 161, 162, 389, 443, 500, 636, 689, 989, 990, 1433, 1701, 1723, 3389

This is more than what you need, but it'll also give you a jump start for your next exam. Just learn five a day and then keep adding to it every day. Make a table with just the numbers and then practice writing the names beside them. Then do it with the names and practice writing the numbers. Then do it from scratch. When you sit down to take your test, on your scratch pad (they'll give you one), write these out before the test starts. Then you won't have to worry about remembering them during the test.
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    thanks all!
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    bEastCoastbEastCoast Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I found it easiest to learn them with flashcards. Make a flashcard for each one > take ~5 at a time and learn those until you have it down to where you don't need to flip to the back to see what the port is > add ~2-3 new cards to your stack that you already know and continue the process.
  • Options
    hxhxhxhx Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Page 150 of the Gibson book has all the ports you need to know. You should also know TCP or UDP. It's all in there. You might be able to find this stuff in Brainscape too.