Options

No connectivity....

Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
Okay, I could kick myself for not being able to figure this out myself, but let me explain.....maybe someone can help....

1. 2 machines
2. Nic drivers loaded, recent, M$ approved
3. W2000 Server
4. Machine A has static IP, 192.168.10.2, acts as DHCP for Machine B. Also tried setting Machine B with static 192.168.10.10, same results
5. Machine B cannot see A, and vice versa
6. Ping local works, ping Machine A, from B IP returns, Destination Unreachable, From A to B returns Request timed out 4 times.
7. Machine B, My Network Places shows "Entire Network" & "Computers near me", which shows only Machine B computer name when clicked
8. Machine A, My Network Places shows only "Entire Network"
9. Tried using Crossover cable, and also Patch w/switch in between, no difference
10. All cables have been tested good

I know it's probably a simple netwokring issue that is eluding me right now, so if anyone can shed some light, it would greatly appreciated. Also note, I know both work, because I had the same setup a few months ago, and everything worked fine. Nothing changed, other I reinstalled the Eval copies of Server2K on both due to the 4 month limit......

Thanks!!
i remain, he who remains to be....

Comments

• Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    Are you setting them up in a domain or are you setting them up as a workgroup. Since you reinstalled software then you would have to set the domain back up. If you assigned static addresses, then did you assign the correct subnet mask and gateway? If they are connected to the internet, then can you ping an outside site or can you ping the gateway? Not trying to ask dumb questions but trying to get more details so that we can figure it out. You always have to look at the obvious first.

Talk to you later on!
  • Options
    Machine A is a DC, DHCP, DNS, & TS
    Settings are correct for gateway and subnet mask
    There is no internet connection
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is your subnet addresses set as. Can you do an ipconfig /all and alt+print screen on both boxes and paste them?

1. Make sure file and print sharing is turned on.
    2. Try with firewall off.

Could be a hardware failure on a NIC even though you said both were working a few months ago.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    The subnets are set to the default based on the IP given when set as static, when set to DHCP there obviously no choice as that becomes automatic. Running an ipconfig /all shows no IP unless made static.... Sharing is turned on, there is no firewall. I just found another Nic, I'm going to try that to rule out hardware failure. Although, when I plug them into the switch, I do get acknowledge from Windows that a connection has been made.....which is why I don't think hardware is the problem.....If both boxes are set to static, they should be able to ping, right?......
  • Options
    Thank you to all who gave suggestions. I have solved the problem. It was a WINS error. I'm still not sure why it happened. I looked at the Event viewer, and noticed multiple WINS errors, that was causing the service to shut down, and apparently disable the Nic. I wasn't using WINS now anyway, so I removed it. As soon as I did, it was able to connect, and pull an IP from Machine A. Again, thanks to all who helped!!!
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ricka182 wrote:
    Thank you to all who gave suggestions. I have solved the problem. It was a WINS error. I'm still not sure why it happened. I looked at the Event viewer, and noticed multiple WINS errors, that was causing the service to shut down, and apparently disable the Nic. I wasn't using WINS now anyway, so I removed it. As soon as I did, it was able to connect, and pull an IP from Machine A. Again, thanks to all who helped!!!

Glad to hear you got the issue fixed. The first thing I actually always do when I encounter a problem on a machine is go to the event viewer. I'm surprised I didn't ask you to go look in my first post.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    Already fixed it --- ignore me!