My Security+ SY0 401 Guide

EsmilloEsmillo Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
My Security Plus Study Guide (Scored 798/900)

This is what I did to prepare for the SY0-401 Exam.

- First I watched all the Professor Messer Security+ Videos (about 256 videos)

- Next I watched all the Professor Messer Security+ Group Study videos (I watched the oldest one in 2015 all the way to the current June Study Group)

- I purchased the Professor Messer Security+ Notes for $10 and in between watching the videos and when I did not have access to a computer I would read the notes.
I printed hem off and put them in a binder and tabbed any areas I was unsure on. I fully read the notes about 3 times front to back.
(I focused on the port numbers for about a week this helped tremendously when it came to firewall labs and port questions)

- Once I completed all the videos I purchased the Daryl Gibson Get Certified Get Ahead (GCGA) practice test and sims content. I started out on the Pre assessment with a 74/100. I took the practice test once a day everyday for about a month until I was scoring 95%+ on all the 20 question test. Then I proceeded to the sims and took them once a day everyday till I was scoring 90% on the grouped sim questions (total of 32 sims)

- Following that I moved to the 100 question (are you ready test and 75 and 50 question random quizzes). I took these about every other day alternating with exam compass Security+ test until I was scoring 90% every time.

- Last I went over all the exam objectives to ensure I understood them all, I skimmed through it though when if I would have went line by line I'm sure that would have only helped more.

- Understanding the content is what helped me the most. Knowing the acronyms alone was half the battle for me. Understanding why the correct answers were correct and why the incorrect answers were incorrect helped me on quite a few questions.

Below I will list all the material I look over even if it was a skim over.

- Professor Messer Videos

- Daryl Gibson Security+ Book (Skimmed it, I din't read 5 complete pages..)

- Daryl Gibson GCGA Content

- Exam Compass Security+ practice test including port numbers and malware quiz

- Techexams.net, took their security plus 25 question practice test about 3 times only though over a course of 2 months

- I took the Measure up exam about 15 times over a course of 3 months until I was scoring 90%+ every time I took it.

- Exam Cram Security+ Book (Skimmed it)

- Daniel Arsenault Security+ Guide (Skimmed it, read maybe first 7 pages and skimmed the rest but never finished document made it about half way and stopped)

- I purchased the GTS Learning Security+ labs (I attempted but never completed any labs. They also come with practice test but the test had questions that were not on the Security+ Exam Objectives so I stopped using that immediately)

I studied from Beginning of 1 April 2017 to 21 June 2017.

I am not in an IT Field of work and have no prior certifications of any sort.

I scored a 798/900 on the exam

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Comments

• nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Woww!! Amazing job!! Thanks for sharing!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • hxhxhxhx Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. What's next?
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • EsmilloEsmillo Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nisti2 wrote: »
    Woww!! Amazing job!! Thanks for sharing!!

Going to go down and get Net+, then Sever+ for a job im trying to get. Then CEH.
  • bhsbhs Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Really nice write-up!
    What is the position you want to have?
  • MkroadrushMkroadrush Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My exam is on Saturday,

I bought Daryl Gibson GCGA (practice) premium for kindle, I can answer the kindle flashcards and questions about 85 to 90%.

I took an exam with Skillport (government skill site) and did not do very good 48% - I'm going to reinforce my knowledge - I know where to study,

My question to you is and everyone, do you think the Daryl Gibson GCGA (practice) premium for kindle plus ExamCompass testing is enough to pass it. I have been studying for 3 months taking exams 2 1/2 weeks now.

Also, what is you suggestion on lab questions and on exam time.

Thank you!!

Mk
    Im a Wheeled Mechanic ..lol
    Mkroadrush wrote: »
    My exam is on Saturday,

I bought Daryl Gibson GCGA (practice) premium for kindle, I can answer the kindle flashcards and questions about 85 to 90%.

I took an exam with Skillport (government skill site) and did not do very good 48% - I'm going to reinforce my knowledge - I know where to study,

My question to you is and everyone, do you think the Daryl Gibson GCGA (practice) premium for kindle plus ExamCompass testing is enough to pass it. I have been studying for 3 months taking exams 2 1/2 weeks now.

Also, what is you suggestion on lab questions and on exam time.

Thank you!!

Mk

I have not experienced the Kindle version of the Daryll Gibson GCGA content. However if it is anything like the online content you should be fine.