Options

Training videos - Is it worth the money?

CosmocatCosmocat Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm working on Network+ and wonder if it's worth the money to take the CBT Nuggets training videos and are they good? I don't have a lot of computers and equipment at home to do a lot of serious labs and I have heard that the training videos actually show you the real stuff - You kind of get the feeling of beeing on the job doing real networking. Is that correct?

http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/product?id=284

Any feedback would be super before I pay $249 :D

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Well they have some demo videos you can watch and I bought the 70-218 a while back and have found it very helpful......just need to schedule the exam at some point....and watch the video again.

So, depending on what you are looking for...yes, I'd say the demos I viewed and the one I have has been worth it.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    thealphathealpha Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I personally enjoy CBT nuggets and other video based training (TestOut, Learnkey). Reading thick books over and over tends to get boring....
  • Options
    oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 103
    I have two sets of videos , I would say they are light on information.
    Try til it hurts then try some more
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've never been disappointed with the CBT Nuggets series, and I have the MCSE 2000 set, the Security+, the SSCP, the MCSA 70-218, the ISA 2004, and a couple others I can't think of off the top of my head. Some are better than others, but I always learn something from watching them.

However, the only two I paid for myself were the W2K and Sec+, my training budget at work paid for the others. I'm not sure I would pay the $249 for the Net+, it's not that difficult of a test IMO to invest that kind of money in. Then again, if you're fairly new to the industry the training may be worth it.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    cchampcchamp Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    straight up, some of that is good for certain training and all. but you dont need all that for net+, the passing score isnt that high, being 554... yea video training will show you actual things ,but u need to know the terminology, your not going to have pictures on the exam anyway. i used the sybex book 4th edt. along with some practice Q's, and scored a 650. if u want pictures, there are some inthe book and u can google it!!
  • Options
    CosmocatCosmocat Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    THANKS for all the great feedback. I have now bought 3 second hand computers for a really good price + cables and stuff to do some labs with this book: Network+ Exam Cram 2 Lab Manual (ISBN: 0789732939). I suppose it's not a must to set up your own network for Network+ but my plan is to use these computers for upcomming Microsoft certs - Then it's a must to practice, practice and PRACTICE with lab books :)

I thought this idea was better than the training vidoes.

Also use these books and they are great:

Network+ Study Guide, SYBEX (ISBN: 0782144063)

Network+ 2005 Q&A (ISBN: 1592007945).

I'm 100% confident I'll pass without a problem :D
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't forget the excellent Network+ tech notes here:

icon_arrow.gifhttp://www.techexams.net/technotes.php
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    get info from other sources like here, wikipedia, cramsession, and others. This is by far the best forum I have ever seen for IT though.
    Say Hello To MY little friend!!!
    TONY Cleaveland