IT Certifications and employment

GAV665GAV665 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to make a career change to working in IT and I have some questions about which jobs I would likely be able to get with which certifications without much experience. My goal is eventually at least to work as a systems administrator. I got a Master's degree related to biology and I worked a job sort of at the interface between genetics and IT for 4 years, during that time I got some experience scripting and using Excel but it wasn't really a true IT job.

I lost my job four months ago, and since then I got CompTIA A+ and MTA - Server Fundamentals certifications. I started studying for the MCSA Server 2012 and I might be able to get it in 4-6 months provided I don't work during that time.

I applied to many help-desk and some technician jobs but I didn't get a response. I was sort of surprised by that.

Please feel free to chime in if you have any advice.

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    - Let us take a look at your resume, if thats okay with you.
    - Try volunteering to get more experience until you can get a job.
    - Use indeed.com if you haven't.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Also, is it entry-level jobs you are applying to? Part of the help desk is customer service. Do you have experience in that? Also, like #jamesleecoleman said, post your resume.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • GAV665GAV665 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    (My name)

(Address)
    (Phone number)
    (email)

I want to make a career transition to technology. I recently earned Microsoft Technology Associate - IT Infrastructure and CompTIA A+ certifications, and I plan to continue my education in technology. I am a fast-learner as well as a good communicator and team-player.

EXPERIENCE

Research Assistant II 7/2016-2/2017
    MD Anderson Cancer Center
    - Identified DNA mutations related to cancer by performing laboratory techniques including DNA isolation and polymerase chain reaction
    - Organized patient samples and sequencing results

Data Analyst 9/2012-7/2016
    Family Tree DNA
    - Analyzed DNA sequences including Sanger traces, micro-arrays, and Next-Generation sequencing data to provide genealogical information to customers
    - Organized and managed an array of datasets using Microsoft Excel
    - Worked with employees in troubleshooting and customers to provide answers and help

Teaching Assistant 9/2008-7/2012
    University of Texas at Austin
    - Oversaw biology labs for undergraduate students. In this position I instructed and worked with the students, coordinated lesson plans with lab managers, and graded assignments.

Courses taught: BIO 325L: Lab Experience in Genetics, BIO 205L and 206L: Lab Experience in Biology, BIO 320: Cell Biology Lecture

Quality Control Laboratory Technician 6/2006-5/2007
    Sigma-Genosys, Houston, TX
    - Performed hands-on analytical chemistry techniques including MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry, HPLC, and LC-MS to determine the purity of synthetic peptides
    - Made decisions regarding whether to ship the peptide to the customer or further purify the peptide
    - Implemented a change in how the lab analyzed peptides that resulted in a decrease in the time required for peptide production

EDUCATION

Master of Arts Degree, Cell and Molecular Biology Graduate Program 8/2012
    In the lab of Dr.

I studied the role of endocytosis during development in the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster, using genetic and molecular biology techniques.
    The University of Texas at Austin, GPA: 3.8

Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology 5/2006
    The University of Texas at Austin, Biology Major GPA: 3.9, Overall GPA: 3.25

High School Diploma 5/2002 Memorial High School, Houston, TX

CERTIFICATIONS

Microsoft Technology Associate - IT Infrastructure June 2017
    CompTIA A+ May 2017 – May 2020
    Project Management Associate, Project Management Institute June 2015 – June 2020

PROJECTS

Online Plant Exchange
    I built a website related to my hobby of gardening and a blog using a number of coding languages and managed the site for one year. The site is an exchange that allows people to trade seeds and plants through automated processes.

ACHIEVEMENTS

Undergraduate Research Fellowship, (2005-2006)
    University Honors – College of Natural Sciences (Fall 2004)
    Advanced Placement Scholars (2002)

SKILLS

- Knowledge in the area of servers, PC Hardware and configuring operating systems including Windows and Apple OS X
    - Coding in Javascript, SQL, PHP, HTML/CSS, and writing Linux scripts
    - Skill in Microsoft Excel
    - Good communication and teamwork skills
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Get rid of the first sentence, you can put that in your cover letter. Take out GPAS. Take out high school and take out the dates. Take out projects (you can mention that in your cover letter, if needed), also what you did in the lab in Texas (has nothing to do with IT). Get rid of skills, you can put those in where you gained those skills in your job experiences. Put in sentences with your job experience, not bullet points. That is what stands out to me right now.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • zeitgeist29zeitgeist29 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe move your certifications and skills up so it's one of the first things they see.
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You have scripting as a skill, and mentioned it in your paragraph, but didn't mention where/when/how you scripted. That might go a long way.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Silly question but having invested many years in biology and having gained a Master's. Why are you moving to IT?