Failed CCNA :( 821

kaleel86kaleel86 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Failed my CCNA yesterday with 821. i got:

92% technology
74% on another and 80% on another

however i got 32% on Planning and designing?! thats where i let myself down icon_sad.gif . does anyone know what this covers and what kinda areas i need to go over. im re-booking it for about 10 days from now and want to hammer this topic.

Also does anyone know a good source to read up on WAN like famrealy and ISDN as i feel the Tom Lamlle book is a bit confusing in that chapter ( i like it for everything else).

I also fount the 1 or 2 simulation questions quite hard as i wasnt fast when it came to troubleshooting, any idea where to get some practice on troubleshooting or reading materials?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• SVSV Member Posts: 166
    Topics covered in Planning and Design includes:

* LAN and Cisco technologies such as functions of equipments, broadcast and collusion domain, etc
    * IP addressing, number of hosts and networks available based on a subnet, etc
    * Conversion between decimal, hex, etc
    * Routing protocol such as OSPF, RIP, etc
    * CDP, ACL, WAN technologies...

You have to be really through in subnetting :)

Even i felt the Tom Lamlle book is a bit confusing when it came to topics related to WAN.

Good luck for your next attempt.
    Life is a journey...
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Ouch! So close...

Looking at the Cisco site for CCNA is states the following:

Planning & Designing
    - Design a simple LAN using Cisco Technology
    - Design an IP addressing scheme to meet design requirements
    - Select an appropriate routing protocol based on user requirements
    - Design a simple internetwork using Cisco technology
    - Develop an access list to meet user specifications
    - Choose WAN services to meet customer requirements

If you look in the faq at the top of this forum you will see information and links on these topics to brush up ready for your last and succesful attempt.

Good luck
    Kam.
  • steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    Get right back in there and soldier through icon_thumright.gif
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • kaleel86kaleel86 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help and kind words guys, feeling gutted but im going back as soon as possible while whatever i do know is still fresh. thing is, im sure my subnetting was quite clear, so it must have been the routing. is this the category the simulators sit in or are they spread around in all four?

anyone no good sources for learning about wans other than sybex ccna books? or a source for troubleshooting?

cheers again guys
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Have you tried the Cisco Press / Wendel Odum ICND book?
    Chapters 9, 10, 11 cover WAN. Chapters 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 cover IP and routing protocols.

I've found that Odum and Lammle together cover what is needed and each give a slightly different way of getting the point across and cover the weaknesses of the other.

I agree with you though, the sooner you get back in there the better after you have covered the necessary material.
    Kam.
  • kaleel86kaleel86 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kaminsky wrote:
    Have you tried the Cisco Press / Wendel Odum ICND book?
    Chapters 9, 10, 11 cover WAN. Chapters 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 cover IP and routing protocols.

I've found that Odum and Lammle together cover what is needed and each give a slightly different way of getting the point across and cover the weaknesses of the other.

I agree with you though, the sooner you get back in there the better after you have covered the necessary material.

i have both those books at home, i havent read them though. i heard they were boring to read unlike the Lammle one. I'll look at them chapters, cheers for that.