GSEC expiration question

jam022316jam022316 Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm sorry if this has already been answered, I can't find the info. How do I know when I buy a GSEC study guide that it's for the latest exam? Like how old of a book is too old? I couldn't find any info on how often the exam is rewritten or if it is ever rewritten. I know CompTIA certs change often and wanted to see what GSEC's timeframe is.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If you take the class you will get the latest books. There's no other legitimate way to get books for this test.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jam022316 wrote: »
    How do I know when I buy a GSEC study guide that it's for the latest exam? Like how old of a book is too old?

My guess is your looking at a illegitimate source like Ebay. The course material is revised at least once a year for all the courses, a more popular courses like the GSEC or GCIH is probably updated more often, like twice a year. SANS adds and removes material to the books to keep them updated, it's anyone guess what percentage changes for each revision, but I would guess less than 5% per revision. We know the course material changes, chances are the exams change as well, while I have no proof, my guess would be the exam is pulled from a pool of possible questions, so no exam is exactly the same. If the exam was the same, it make more sense for the testing lab just to pull down the entire exam for each test taker than to rely on a network connection to get each question. When the clock is ticking away, nothing is more nerve racking then waiting 4 or 5 seconds sometimes for the next question to display after you answered the last one.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • jam022316jam022316 Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you both! Yes, not looking to ****, just looking at alternatives of paying that hefty class price if work decides they're not going to cover it.
  • jam022316jam022316 Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome, thanks again!