Options

Documenting every minute of your day

2»

Comments

• Options
    $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    Priston wrote: »
    Document something that took 10 minutes in explicit detail. Enough detail it takes over an hour to document it. Then document it took over an hour to document that 10 minutes of your day. icon_lol.gif

I actually do this. I document my time for documenting time. If you think about it, I am driving x amount of hours and doing x amount of work. That work has to be line itemized for the client to know what we are doing. Sometimes is takes me 45 minutes to do my work documentation for a few clients.

As far as going to a client's site first instead of your work place first, I think your employer might be breaking some labor laws by not paying you that time. You might want to look into the Department of Labor's guides and your own state's labor website to find out if they are screwing you over.

(I don't know how to double quote.)

I am on salary so I am getting paid. I drive anywhere from 2-4 hours a day sometimes around the city. A lot of people might like the idea of "getting paid to drive" but it is terrible.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mbarrett wrote: »
    Sounds like they're encouraging you to bullsh!t your way through the day.
    Not a good way to go through life.

Exactly. It is unreasonable. If management is actually serious about this, they would document their time and expose it to those that they expect to do the same. It is ridiculous. These folks read all of the hyped up books and they know that nobody is 100% productive, including themselves.

This is the opposite direction from that which I want to shift... I want less stress and this seems anxiety-ridden.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    powerfool wrote: »
    Exactly. It is unreasonable. If management is actually serious about this, they would document their time and expose it to those that they expect to do the same. It is ridiculous. These folks read all of the hyped up books and they know that nobody is 100% productive, including themselves.

This is the opposite direction from that which I want to shift... I want less stress and this seems anxiety-ridden.

The problem is that we are a tiny shop ~20 employees but this system is for a large scale operation. If all of us were balls to the wall busy all day I would not care but that is not the case. Also, when you guys say management, it is actually 3 owners. We (the engineers) don't go into "time review meetings" but from what I understand they just put an 8 hour block for "management."
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    Exactly. It is unreasonable. If management is actually serious about this, they would document their time and expose it to those that they expect to do the same.

Reminds me of this.
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    I used to work for an MSP and had to do it in 15 minute blocks. At my current position I used get annoyed needing to "approve" (exempt so it never changed) my timesheet every two weeks :D. Thankfully that's behind me and I only need to fill out PTO sheets now ;)