The Handshake...

RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
Have any of you members here met someone for the first time either in a job interview or social networking wise where the guy gives a handshake that is crushing?

I usually don't complain about a firm handshake if we're making a deal. But, to try and crush my grip I take that a sign of disrespect.

Any opinions on this?

Comments

• BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Meh, once or twice. Or they don't want to let go. I laugh to be honest and feel like they are overcompensating. I grew up playing sports and still do so tough guys are something I've been around enough and I don't get intimidated. I walk away thinking "what a tool".

But yea, I have a firm enough handshake that if someone wanted to really squeeze it would be really easy to apply ample pressure to not get crushed and let them know IDGAF.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I love a firm handshake and I am a woman.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Firm handshakes are good. Extremely hard, something to prove, handshakes are not. They are about the same as a limp noodle handshake. A nice, firm, confident handshake is perfect, though. Don't break their hand, but show some confidence.

And if it's a woman, you have to do the hand kiss thing. It's only appropriate. :)
    hand kiss? nooo... LOL
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PC509 wrote: »
    Firm handshakes are good. Extremely hard, something to prove, handshakes are not. They are about the same as a limp noodle handshake. A nice, firm, confident handshake is perfect, though. Don't break their hand, but show some confidence.

And if it's a woman, you have to do the hand kiss thing. It's only appropriate. :)

In this country, you can't kiss a woman's hand. That will lead right into a Level 1.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I know. :) It was a joke. :) You can't do it here, either.
  • blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Yes I've interviewed at Trump Tower several times
  • zeitgeist29zeitgeist29 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had a woman try to crush my hand when I was sitting next to her on a flight. She said it wasn't firm enough and weak. : ( But that may have been due to the plate and 4 screws and my lack of grip strength from my boxers fracture...but I digress...Super alphas gotta try to intimidate you...especially if you're a perceived threat.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blatini wrote: »
    Yes I've interviewed at Trump Tower several times

Bwahahahahaha!
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If they try to crush your hand with their handshake, then you take your other hand and put it on top of their hand while shaking it to show that you have won the handshake p*ssing contest.
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I generally try to match the 'firmness' with which my hand is shook. If some is absolutely attempting to crush my hand, I go ahead and (attempt to) reciprocate.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Blucodex wrote: »
    Meh, once or twice. Or they don't want to let go. I laugh to be honest and feel like they are overcompensating. I grew up playing sports and still do so tough guys are something I've been around enough and I don't get intimidated. I walk away thinking "what a tool".

Travel to remote depts, visit other areas of our business etc..

Guy in the office doesn't let go of my hand and just holds on to it while I'm talking to him, not saying I have a problem with it but I'm not a fan of the "Social office" games/politics most people play...
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I typically give a firm handshake, but I try to gauge the grip strength of who I am shaking hands with and adjust accordingly. My goal is to have my handshake have a feel similar to a compression shirt - snug and contoured without being overly tight.

If they squeeze a bit harder I adjust.
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Travel to remote depts, visit other areas of our business etc..

Guy in the office doesn't let go of my hand and just holds on to it while I'm talking to him, not saying I have a problem with it but I'm not a fan of the "Social office" games/politics most people play...

Personally, I find this VERY rude. What's the point? Thanks for the heads up that you're a jackass!
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Not sure I would judge someone too much from a handshake normally. But if they try to hurt me, I tend to think they might have issues. I think Modi has it right: go in for the hug.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    I will just do the 'fish'. slap each other on the wrist to elbow like a fish. Great conversation starter. Always cracks me up.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My greeting shakes are always firm but curt, one good dip and lift. Unless it's a first date or at a funeral, then lingering a little with contact can be comforting and encouraging.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • DiminutiveDiminutive Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mine are a little too firm. Sometimes I get the crusher in response and my hands are on the smaller side so its not awesome for me. Still as long as I get the meat under the thumb on their meat its usually fine. Still need to consciously moderate it.
    WIP: Win2008 MCITP Upgrade
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I reciprocate with maximum force and won't stop until they bow to awesomeness that is my handshake! Have yet to meet a formidable foe.
  • ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remedymp wrote: »
    In this country, you can't kiss a woman's hand. That will lead right into a Level 1.

What the heck is a Level 1?
  • CiscoASA2202CiscoASA2202 Member Posts: 51 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will just do the 'fish'. slap each other on the wrist to elbow like a fish. Great conversation starter. Always cracks me up.

My boss is a fish hand shaker, I find it very odd
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Subordinates have to kiss the ring. Anything else is pure disrespect...
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ElGato127 wrote: »
    What the heck is a Level 1?

That's when you mix up your cyber risk level with "first base" and realize you work too much. icon_lol.gif
    My boss is a fish hand shaker, I find it very odd
    Oh Come on! It is funny, brings a smile to your lips? icon_wink.gif
  • ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GeekyChick wrote: »
    That's when you mix up your cyber risk level with "first base" and realize you work too much. icon_lol.gif

That's pretty funny.

BTW, just noticed the Sec+ on your profile. Is that new? Congrats.
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What about when you go for a handshake and the other person grabs just for fingers? It's the feeling of being hopeless and weak...
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ElGato127 wrote: »
    That's pretty funny.

BTW, just noticed the Sec+ on your profile. Is that new? Congrats.

I hope it made sense. It did to me, but it was late at night when I wrote that and I was a little goofy.

Yep, thanks for noticing. I just passed Sec+ in May. Very glad to have that over.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Not an interview, but an auditor from Big4 (KPMG? I can't remember)...did that, and I think he was trying to impress me. All the signs were there, he wasn't very bright but he was a nice guy

I wouldn't read too much into it, some people do it out of habit or they think it's cool
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used to teach college classes for fun at night. One of the classes I taught was aimed at helping graduates acquire the skills necessary find a job. We would practice resumes, interview questions, LinkedIn skills, etc. I taught a very interactive class and always had students in front of the class trying things out. When I started to teach handshakes, I would always start off talking about having too heavy of a hand when shaking. I would then have the biggest, toughest guy come forward and I'd give him the limp wrist handshake - which always got a reaction! It showed that you have to be prepared for anything!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • inverse_oneinverse_one Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just be glad they don't try a three-way-handshake to make sure you received the handshake icon_wink.gif