Can you guys check my resume? Does it look good?

Click Here to view my resume. I am a newbie at this. Can you guys check see if there's anything wrong? I applied to a dozen of place and didn't hear anything back yet. Its been a week and a half. I don't know if it's my resume that's causing me not to getting any return calls. Let me know :).

Comments

• zeitgeist29zeitgeist29 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looking at it, yes. Are you still in school or have you graduated? You need to put an objective such as, looking to obtain entry level help desk position, etc. Have you ever had any job? Or volunteered or anything? Two pages for all that info doesn't help. Google some resume samples and you'll have a better idea of what to put. Congrats on the 3 comptia certs though, they should help you get a position once you get your resume updated. Oh yea, take out some of the spaces that you have. If you can make it one page that would be good. Include some skills that you have as well. Don't apply to any other jobs until you get everything fixed.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    - "Western Governor University" - I'm pretty sure more than one governor was involved
    - "WGU...Current" - I would expect an estimated graduation date. I believe you are 2019 class, include that.
    - "coastline community college" - Shift key is your friend

Your other resume listed some jobs. Why are you leaving them out?
  • faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    @zeitgeist29, Yeah I work before as a inventory stocker and then a Waiter for pizza shop. I did volunteer for my Uncle bitcoin mining bussiness, I setup the network for the mining machines and trouble shoot it. It was all done at the datacenter. I did that in 2014 to 2015. Should i put that on resume?

cyberguypr@ Yeah I'm still in school class of 2019. I left out the jobs because those old jobs aren't related to IT and that i haven't work since 2006. Should I add them back?

There are resume service that charges 100 bucks for Resume, Cover Letter, and LinkedIn optimization. Is it worth it?
    @zeitgeist29, Yeah I work before as a inventory stocker and then a Waiter for pizza shop. I did volunteer for my Uncle bitcoin mining bussiness, I setup the network for the mining machines and trouble shoot it. It was all done at the datacenter. I did that in 2014 to 2015. Should i put that on resume?

There are resume service that charges 100 bucks for Resume, Cover Letter, and LinkedIn optimization. Is it worth it?

Yes, put all of that on there in with the most recent at the top and oldest at the bottom.

Nooooooo. Thats a rip. Just google sample resumes, cover letters and you'll get the gist of the format and what to put.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS725US725&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=sample+resume

Go through a few samples and use that format. ANd like cyberguypr said put when your expected graduation date is.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That version looks so much better than the first.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    Thanks Yoba222, I found it online.

I going to make a change to the work date for Desktop tech to 11/2014 to 06/2015.
    yoba222 wrote: »
    That version looks so much better than the first.

I 2nd that. Good job!
    Thanks Zeitgeist29. :)
    Thanks Zeitgeist29. :)

No problem...now get out there and apply until you pass out. Even if you have somewhat the qualifications, fire away. Good luck my man!
    Thank you so much.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fwiw,
    I disagree with the suggestion to include the older jobs.

In my opinion,
    Your resume should tell me where you're Going;
    Not where you've been.

Shelf stocking & Waiting tables are Not related to IT.
    So, Drop them.

Keeping them on your resume works against you because:

1) it also tells me how Old you are.
    That crap matters (it shouldn't, but it does).
    As i read your resume, i envisioned a guy in his 20's; and he's eager to learn.
    But then i saw jobs from 1999.
    Result: Recycle Bin

2) It also introduces a Large employment gap; from 2006-'14.
    What the heck?? What's that about??
    Initial Response: This guy was Locked Up.
    Result: Recycle Bin

Not trying to be a jerk.
    The system is rigged; so Know how to play :]

Other than that, i like what i see. Your resume has a Good Presentation!

Is your Uncle still in business?
    Can you go volunteer again? (or somewhere else?)
    If you can include any current work; your resume would be pimp.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You might plug in your resume to this website, minus personal info:

RezScore

It will rate your resume & what they recommend you should change.

Good luck & HI5!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shochan wrote: »
    You might plug in your resume to this website, minus personal info:

RezScore

It will rate your resume & what they recommend you should change.

Good luck & HI5!

That's pretty cool - I hadn't seen that service before - my default resume got an "A"... cool beans!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unfortunately, mine is stuck at a C+ - HA! I am reworking it though.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    @volkhat, I will drop the old jobs. My uncle is not in bussiness anymore. Great advice! Thank you Volkhat!
    Thank you Shochan for that grading software. I will use it soon. Thanks.