Anyone else dreading 2020?

rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
I know, that by then Win7 will be over a decade old. But still, I love Win7; it's the best MS OS that I've encountered and I'm really not looking forward to 2020!

I hate Win10 and refuse to use it. I had the same issue when Gnome 2 was replaced with Gnome 3; it's dreadful! And don't even get me started on Unity! I'm really hoping that the guys at KDE don't go down this road!

Anyway, back to the case in point; Win7. I'm hoping that by then, most of the security issues will have been found and fixed, so updates will be less of an issue. Even then, the recent patch for XP proves that if the issue is big enough (that is, that if enough users either can't, or won't 'upgrade') MS will back-patch anyway.

Thoughts?
No longer an active member

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I don't 'mind' windows 10 (but, I was a big fan of XP/hated Vista/loved 7). I hated it at first 10 was kind of forced upon me, but I modified some things while upgrading. Plus, now that is what we have at work. So, adapt I will do, as always. M$ will probably delay 2020 until 2030.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Kinda funny to Google "hate Windows 7" and read posts from 7+ years ago...

Just one of the MANY ones out there:
    If you love Windows XP, you'll hate Windows 7 | ZDNet

I enjoy change, keeps things interesting icon_wink.gif
  • joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I kind of like Windows 10. I'm not a big fan of an OS that spies on you and uses it for advertising, but that hasn't stoppped Google users.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I kind of like Windows 10. I'm not a big fan of an OS that spies on you and uses it for advertising, but that hasn't stoppped Google users.

Yeah, if you haven't turned off all the privacy settings in Win10, you should!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    every update I turn it off. LOL. Plus, apparently, there is a 'super' update that I am ignoring ( I also do this with my IPhone, every update, makes things worse..)
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I love Windows 10. If I need real privacy, I have a laptop for that. But, I have my Windows 10 open to Microsoft with the Insider program, providing feedback, etc.. There really isn't anything 'secret' about my main PC.

Windows 7 was fine, but nothing really great. Going from 10 to 7 is pretty jarring to me these days (we're on 7 at work). I hope they extend the support window, though. It's still a very popular OS and it's not a bad OS at all. Great for businesses.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I never upgraded to win 10.

I used to work at a MSP, and we had several customers that upgraded on their own from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Windows 10 destroyed our managed AV , and I had to get on each machine individually and reinstall our AV.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade to Windows 10. However, a lot of companies are moving to Windows 10, so I will take some time to spin up a VM and learn the nuts and bolts.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    Kinda funny to Google "hate Windows 7" and read posts from 7+ years ago...

Just one of the MANY ones out there:
    If you love Windows XP, you'll hate Windows 7 | ZDNet

I enjoy change, keeps things interesting icon_wink.gif

You see, this is where I diverge:
    Win3.1 Over Win3: Hell, yes!
    Win 95 Over Win3.1: A 'no brainer', Win95!
    Win98 Over Win95: Well, just about...
    XP Over Win98: Another 'no brainer'
    Let's leave out all the 'fuzz', and jump to...
    Win7 Over XP. Again, a 'no brainer'.
    But then we get more 'fuzz'...
    Win10 Over Win7: Humm... not so much. If the ZDNet now had 'If you love Windows 7, you'll hate Windows 10', I'd have to agree.

I'm in no way opposed to 'change for the better', but 'change for the sake of change', I'm not such a fan.
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Windows 10 basically made my laptop unusable. 100% Disk usage all the damn time, always a different cause. Hate it.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rob42 wrote: »
    Anyway, back to the case in point; Win7. I'm hoping that by then, most of the security issues will have been found and fixed, so updates will be less of an issue.
    HA! Do you do parties?
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    HA! Do you do parties?

I love to 'party' whenever I can. Is this an invite?

Maybe not...
    Party? where? casual? :D
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I love Win7 too!

To be honest when I read the thread title I thought you were talking about something (politically) related to the 2020 presidential election lol.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shochan wrote: »
    Yeah, if you haven't turned off all the privacy settings in Win10, you should!
    I made the appropriate changes as soon as it was installed... and each time it tries to change them on me. I'll use Linux if I need something secure.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't mind Windows 10 except for the fact that it manages to hose my display driver with every major update. However, I think that's mainly due to the fact that my laptop is going on 9 years old. I like it better than Windows 8.1. Windows 10 is noticeably faster than Windows 8.1 on my laptop and is a dragster compared to Windows Vista that was originally loaded on it, but to be fair the Vista install was 32-bit instead of 64-bit.

Once I pinned the desktop apps for Settings, Control Panel, and my commonly used programs etc to the start menu and taskbar I started enjoying it a lot more
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You see, this is where I diverge:
    Win3.1 Over Win3: Hell, yes!
    Win 95 Over Win3.1: A 'no brainer', Win95!
    Win98 Over Win95: Well, just about...
    XP Over Win98: Another 'no brainer'
    Let's leave out all the 'fuzz', and jump to...
    Win7 Over XP. Again, a 'no brainer'.
    But then we get more 'fuzz'...
    Win10 Over Win7: Humm... not so much. If the ZDNet now had 'If you love Windows 7, you'll hate Windows 10', I'd have to agree.

Break this insane pattern, stop jumping from operating system to operating system at the beacon call of Microsoft. It's only when you see the light and switch to Linux that you can be truly free of this madness.

While I too am brainwashed by the evil allure of Windows 7, I'm making baby steps in the direction of Linux. I hope to break free of these shackles... by 2020. :)
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Break this insane pattern, stop jumping from operating system to operating system at the beacon call of Microsoft. It's only when you see the light and switch to Linux that you can be truly free of this madness.

While I too am brainwashed by the evil allure of Windows 7, I'm making baby steps in the direction of Linux. I hope to break free of these shackles... by 2020. :)

Good point, that's why I bought a Mac. Now I change operating systems twice a year :D
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2020: the year Python 2 is slated to go EOL.
    As for Windows 7 being the best Windows, "least worst" is far more accurate in my opinion. This would be referring to the Windows 7 non-backported-telemetry edition, if there were such a thing.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know, that by then Win7 will be over a decade old. But still, I love Win7; it's the best MS OS that I've encountered and I'm really not looking forward to 2020!

I hate Win10 and refuse to use it.

I used to use Windows 95, liked it & had 0 reason to switch until a few things were clearly meant to run on a more modern OS. And it was less secure. And MS stopped patching it. So I switched to Windows 7, which is fine, IMO. I'm sure that switching to Windows 10 will be similar - I have used it a little bit and it's a more radical change than switching from XP -> Win 7. But I'm sure that when Win 7 is EOL (finally) the world will be ready to move on and a lot of thhose nagging Win10 issues will have been resolved.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For an enterprise, I don't really get the Windows 10 hate. Most everything can be locked down with GPOs to make it almost just the same as 7 from a user's point of view. It's also more secure.

From a home user concerned with privacy, I get the criticism. I've got a ton of entries in my host file blocking telemetry data and whatnot. But if you're a gamer, which I am, you're going to be married to 10 at some point in some way.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I love Windows 10, which I didn't think I would at first because I was still fuming mad at the POS Windows 8. For me, it's been much smoother, and not as heavy feeling as Windows 7. It's also much faster. As with others, my only issues are the privacy settings, and the update settings.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Yeah not a fan of Win 10 at all. I'm still getting used to it. I actually had no problems upgrading from XP to 7. Probably because Vista was so bad. And yeah, privacy settings is still a big issue with Win 10.
    Thank you all for reading my post and for your comments; they make some interesting points.

My main objection to Win10 (the privacy, pushed advertising and tracking issues aside) is the U.I. I think I understand what MS is trying to do by making the U.I the same across different platforms, but it's not for me. Maybe I'm just an 'old foggy': I like the Win7 U.I in the same way as I liked the Gnome2 U.I (in fact Gnome2 is way better!) and I love the KDE U.I. I don't mind that the U.I on my Table is not the same as it is on my P.C or Phone; I don't expect or want it to be. They are different devices and as such should have different U.Is, as I use them in different ways.

I feel that the only feature Win7 really lacks is a 'multiple desktop' feature. This is something I miss when I've been using my Linux systems for a while and then have to go back to my Win7 system.

I'm not so sure that the vulnerability issues, mainly associated with XP, that are reported in the M.S.M are not a lot of B.S. The last biggie only seemed to effect systems that had a publicly exposed 445 port, so far as my understand goes, but correct me if I'm wrong.

So, over the next few years, I'm going to learn as much as I can about how personal computer systems can be compromised. I've already brought an XP system back to life and as yet have failed to 'hack' into it. The same goes for my Win7 system, and these systems are on the same LAN as my 'hacking system'. The reason could be because of my lack of skill (probable), or it could be that they're not as vulnerable as the M.S.M would have me believe, because MS has already patched the vulnerability as with say the old RPCD COM (MS03-026) exploit, or it could be that I know how to set systems up in such a way as to mitigate any vulnerability issues. Time will tell.

My belief is, and again, correct me if I'm wrong, that so long as I don't do anything stupid (I trust we all know what that means) and I'm behind a NAT Router, which is also secure, I'm good, and I'll be still using Win7 way past 2020.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Windows 10 goes end of mainstream support in 2020? Maybe we'll have a Windows 10 replacement in 2020.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    By 2020 I'm guessing more people will move to Mac OS, specially now that you can use MS office on cloud office 365...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    By 2020 I'm guessing more people will move to Mac OS, specially now that you can use MS office on cloud office 365...

I don't see that happening at all with licensing, hardware, Microsoft's hold on IT, active directory, etc
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    markulous wrote: »
    I don't see that happening at all with licensing, hardware, Microsoft's hold on IT, active directory, etc

For personal (non-workplace) use I believe it will.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    yes I meant more for desktop / end user. I don't see Windows dominating the desktop world in the next 10 years...but that depends on apple not screwing up (not guaranteed).

Who knows...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Apple will not dominate the desktop / laptop market, Windows PC's and laptops are cheaper and you have more options, also Apple is not interested in dominating the desktop / laptop market.

As for windows 10, I like it more than Windows7 for personal use, for corporate I think companies must start migrating from now instead of waiting until 3Q 2020 then having to purchase extended support for $$$$$$$ while they try to upgrade hardware and fix application compatibility issues.

One more reason to like windows 10:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/06/windows-10-will-restrict-data-access-to-authorized-apps-to-combat-ransomware/
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Linux, seriously. (I mean that as in, seriously, get on it!)