Hampton Roads Area

jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
FYI, for those in the area.

As part of an effort to prep the local workforce, TNCC has eceived funding from the state to fund a Workforce Certification Grant. TNCC is running a 5 week CISSP prep class, which includes a voucher for taking the class. The grant essentially funds 2/3 of the class, and does not have an income requirement.

the other grant is called FANTIC and is income restricted. The CISSP. Is eligible for the FANTIC also. If you get the FANTIC grant, the grant covers all but 10% of the first third off the cost. Exam voucher is included.

Tl;dr...

WCG - no income restriction. CISSP prep with exam voucher is right around $500-600.

FANTIC - income restricted. CISSP prep with exam voucher is under $100.

I am getting my application today. Thought I would share the love for those in the Hampton Roads area.

Comments

• shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, I wished I lived there to take advantage of this. With the local gov't in our are, we don't see these types of initiatives.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just wanted to bump this up.

The upcoming class starts on July 10th. Right now, it appears I am the only person registered, so the class may get pushed back.

If you are in the Hampton Roads area, and are considering the CISSP exam, you should seriously consider taking this course. Even without the grant, the cost is very reasonable, and the grant makes it even more so.

We need 4 enrolled to keep the class in July. Surely, there are 3 more of you in the area?!
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How do you apply for the grant?
    The grant application was a single sheet, front and back, if I recall correctly. For the WCG, the only real requirement is that you have been a Virginia resident for at least 12 months. It's been a while since I put my application in, so best answers will come from the Workforce Development Center. Phone is 757-825-2937.

Link for more info:
    Workforce Credentials Grant Program | Thomas Nelson Community College
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I live about 1 1/2 hours away. Too far to drive every night...bummer.
    It's only two nights a week, if that helps.

/grin
  • C0rpseC0rpse Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm going to take a look since I'm in the Va Beach area.
    jibtech wrote: »
    It's only two nights a week, if that helps.

/grin

Screw it, I'm going for it lol. Can't beat that price for class and exam voucher.
    1.5 hours. That means Richmond area.

Easy commute. I did it for three years icon_smile.gif

First beer in the "study group" is on me.
    1.5 hours. That means Richmond area.

Easy commute. I did it for three years icon_smile.gif

First beer in the "study group" is on me.

Do you know how long it takes to get the approval for the grant? Or is it instant once they verify residency?
    Not sure on the timeline, but if you feel like it is dragging, let me know.

They know me on sight now...
    I sent them my resume and will go early Monday morning to drop off application and residency documents.

Was just curious if it takes a while or not. I suppose it only takes a few days since it's a grant? I leave the country on Tuesday for a week so need to get everything filed before then.
    Just let them know you will be out of country for a bit, and need to make sure everything is in hand. They are pretty good about working through it.

Send me a PM once you have dropped your stuff off, and I can check in on it for you, if you like.
  • InCryptableInCryptable Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□

The upcoming class starts on July 10th. Right now, it appears I am the only person registered, so the class may get pushed back.

If you are in the Hampton Roads area, and are considering the CISSP exam, you should seriously consider taking this course. Even without the grant, the cost is very reasonable, and the grant makes it even more so.

We need 4 enrolled to keep the class in July. Surely, there are 3 more of you in the area?!

I have some friends I'm going to forward this info on to...I'm surprised there is not Air Force personnel out of Langley not jumping all over this.
    TBH, they haven't done a great job getting the word out. That is a big part of why I wanted to let this crowd know.
    Just checked in with the folks at TNCC. They think have everything for you, ITSec14.

Let's go folks. Need a couple more of you to sign up and get that CISSP!!
  • C0rpseC0rpse Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am hoping they offer this in August or September so I can get approval from my work for them to pay for the training instead of going out of pocket. Just can't swing this in July unfortunately but thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    Sweet! I've been emailing them back and forth while I was in Europe and got my waiver to enroll. Just need to figure out if I can get the grant or not.
    Just checked in with the folks at TNCC. They think have everything for you, ITSec14.

Let's go folks. Need a couple more of you to sign up and get that CISSP!!

I'm all registered! Unfortunately, they postponed the class until the end of July now. Not a huge deal though! Gives me time to read the book in advance.
    I just heard and you beat me to it. Class postponed to 7/31, with a backup date in August.

Come on folks, we need a few more to register!
    I just heard and you beat me to it. Class postponed to 7/31, with a backup date in August.

Come on folks, we need a few more to register!

Did they postpone because there aren't enough people registering?
    That was the impression I was given. Right now, we are the only two registered. There is some interest from Old Point bank, but no takers.

We need to get some more interest built.
    Gotcha. I think we need a minimum of 4. Tried to get a coworker to do it, but they weren't interested.
    Last chance heads up.

The class starts Monday 7/31, and has enough people to move forward.

Anyone else care to join us in getting a CISSP?!
    Last chance heads up.

The class starts Monday 7/31, and has enough people to move forward.

Anyone else care to join us in getting a CISSP?!

I'll be there! Currently going through the book now to get a head start.
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    I'll be there! Currently going through the book now to get a head start.

Cheater. /grin
    Damn, ITSec14.

This is not what I expected. SMH