Study materials for CCENT and CCNA for a completely new guy???

napoleonppnapoleonpp Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have just been given a new job in the Army as an Information Services Technician. Most people are required to spend some time working with computers prior to this job, however this was a unique situation. As a result, I will be trying to play catch-up and keeping up in class. I will attend a 8 month school learning the job, which I hear CCNA is a large part of the course and lots of people struggle with it. Once again I have zero experience with computers other than making PowerPoint presentations and connecting a computer to a printer on a network with an IP address. I have been told that I should study CCENT as well since that will give me the basics. I have no clue what either of these even are.

I'm looking to purchase the Odom CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-105 to try and read ahead prior to the class, I may have about 3 months before I attend the course. I was told this book is recommended to have during the actual course. Would this book be sufficient for someone starting from scratch? If not then do you know what book(s) would be good for a complete beginner when it comes to CCENT/CCNA? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Consider getting the Chris Bryant CCNA course from Udemy. It is $10 right now.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • zeitgeist29zeitgeist29 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    napoleonpp wrote: »
    I'm looking to purchase the Odom CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-105 to try and read ahead prior to the class, I may have about 3 months before I attend the course. I was told this book is recommended to have during the actual course. Would this book be sufficient for someone starting from scratch? If not then do you know what book(s) would be good for a complete beginner when it comes to CCENT/CCNA? Thanks in advance!

I'm using Odom for the same test and I wish I went a diffenent route. Todd Lammie's ICND 101-105 CCENt seems like a much easier read and the material isn't spaced over 36 chapter. I had about the same level of experience and you but Lammie is the route I suggest. Check out the books on amazon and compare. Odom is just too drawn out with too much material. Lammie condenses things and makes it easier to get the idea of what you need to know.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Prior to CCENT, get a book on Network+, this will really teach you the basics and create a foundation for CCENT.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Agree with TheForce, get a Network+ book (Network+ All-in-One), then get Lammle's CCENT book instead. As stated by zeitgeist, it reads much easier.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm using Chris Bryants Udemy course and it's very thorough and to the point. He walks you through labs as your watching so you can work along with him. Also, I'm using google for any topics to brush up on and printed some really nice **** sheets for memorizing some of the more detail specific stuff.
  • napoleonppnapoleonpp Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'll have to purhase a Network+ book. So you think the one below would be a good purchase for person that is new to this?

https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Network-Guide-Sixth-N10-006/dp/0071848223/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498064004&sr=8-1&keywords=Network%2B

I was so eager to get started last night that I purchased the Odom book off Amazon last night and should receive it Friday. Would the CBT Nugget video subscription help me with the Network+ before I start on CCENT, or should I stick with the book at first?
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Prior to CCENT, get a book on Network+, this will really teach you the basics and create a foundation for CCENT.

I will definitely get a book on that as well to start with. Do you think the book below may be a good start?

https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Network-Guide-Sixth-N10-006/dp/0071848223/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498064004&sr=8-1&keywords=Network%2B

I have also found the $10 course below. Do you think that it would help a new person? I see that it is normally $195, but is $10 for one more day.

https://www.udemy.com/comptia-network-certification-n10-006-the-total-course/
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mike Meyers is excellent. I met him last year and he is very passionate about teaching IT concepts to future IT professionals. Well worth purchasing his materials, in my opinion.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Mike Meyers is excellent. I met him last year and he is very passionate about teaching IT concepts to future IT professionals. Well worth purchasing his materials, in my opinion.

I'll definitely purchase that book off Amazon and maybe the video class on ucademy as well. Thanks for the help everyone!!
  • zeitgeist29zeitgeist29 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check your library to see if they have it so you can save some money.
  • SN95NateSN95Nate Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also have the fifth edition (I believe) of the CCNA: R/S by Todd L. I am also using CBTNuggets that a friend gave me. He recently passed his CCENT.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If i've said this once, i've said it 100 times, CCNA in 60 days! The course is amazing and I used it and passed my exams via 2 exam path! i'm going to use it again for my ICND2 re-certification. Also look at the Boson bundles for ICND2 with simulator software, practice tests, and courseware books etc.
  • psheehan5psheehan5 Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If i've said this once, i've said it 100 times, CCNA in 60 days! The course is amazing and I used it and passed my exams via 2 exam path! i'm going to use it again for my ICND2 re-certification. Also look at the Boson bundles for ICND2 with simulator software, practice tests, and courseware books etc.
    Thanks kMastaFlash! Has anyone else used CCNA in 60 days?