Options

Passed today! 6-30-2017

AscetikAscetik Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
Study Materials:

-Skillport Videos my employer purchased. Though I only watched half of them because they were so boring. Took the tests after, but I hadn't watched the videos in like 3 months. They are ultra boring and monotone.
-Darril Gibson's Security+ book. By fay the best resource. I believe I could have passed only having read this book.
-A few messer videos, but not many
-McGraw Hill book, I only read about 5 chapters from it.

I've been working in IT for about 13 years. This was my 1st attempt.

Passed with 765. Not sure what I missed because I just wanted to get some nicotine, but I'm glad I passed. It is my first official certification surprisingly.

Regarding the questions:

Make sure you know the in's and out's of encryption and have port numbers memorized or you're going to have a bad time.

Some of the questions were pretty difficult because all the answers were right but you have to choose the best answer. I only found one or two questions to be slightly vague, the rest were pretty on-point.

Thanks to the members of the forum for suggesting Darril's book, it is definitely worth the purchase.

God speed to anyone else taking the exam soon!

Comments

• Options
    SuperRed95SuperRed95 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ascetik wrote: »
    Study Materials:

-Skillport Videos my employer purchased. Though I only watched half of them because they were so boring. Took the tests after, but I hadn't watched the videos in like 3 months. They are ultra boring and monotone.
    -Darril Gibson's Security+ book. By fay the best resource. I believe I could have passed only having read this book.
    -A few messer videos, but not many
    -McGraw Hill book, I only read about 5 chapters from it.

I've been working in IT for about 13 years. This was my 1st attempt.

Passed with 765. Not sure what I missed because I just wanted to get some nicotine, but I'm glad I passed. It is my first official certification surprisingly.

Regarding the questions:

Make sure you know the in's and out's of encryption and have port numbers memorized or you're going to have a bad time.

Some of the questions were pretty difficult because all the answers were right but you have to choose the best answer. I only found one or two questions to be slightly vague, the rest were pretty on-point.

Thanks to the members of the forum for suggesting Darril's book, it is definitely worth the purchase.

God speed to anyone else taking the exam soon!

Congrats! The obligatory, "What's next?"
  • Options
    AscetikAscetik Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SuperRed95 wrote: »
    Congrats! The obligatory, "What's next?"

Going to talk to my boss to see what he would like for me to get next.

I'd like to get the OSCP, but yeah... that'd take awhile.

Maybe CCNA or VCP6. Also, the Labtech (Now ConnectWise Automate) professional cert would be nice.
  • Options
    neilyhneilyh Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I would say CCNA is a good cert to go for.
  • Options
    Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    MkroadrushMkroadrush Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ascetik wrote: »
    Study Materials:

Hello, I'm taking the exam soon. My employer also have Skillport. How did you do on the SY0-401 exam under Skillport?

I have been studying, took the exam, find it a little harder or bit distant from Darril Gibson book and practice..

Is it worth it to use this exam as practice?

Thank you and congrats!

Mk