70-697 and 70-698... which one first ?

NicoloNicolo Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi y'all,

I passed the 70-680 last week and now I'd want to get the Windows 10 MCSA.

Which one would you suggest to go through first , either 697 or 698 ?

is there a suggested order (697>698 or the other way round) or is it completely the same ?
I'd like to read experiences of someone who's gotten both of them already.

thanks in advance :)

Nicolo'

Comments

• analogkid1968analogkid1968 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have taken both tests, just passed 70-698 yesterday. There is some overlap in the 2 tests (just read the exam objectives to see areas of overlap). I used Paneck's book for 697 and the MS Exam Ref book for 698. Neither book alone will prepare to pass the exam - read TechNet articles for every exam topic.

I think the 697 was more difficult but actually scored a little higher on that than the 698. The difference for me was having practice questions from Paneck's book and website for 697 vs NONE using the MS Exam Ref for 698.
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im doing both exams and taking the 70-697 first, scheduled at the end of this month. Im taking 70-697 first because there is seems to be more exam ref materials for 70-697. 70-698 exam ref materials looks to be still in progress.

Paneck's book is having a updated version for 70-698 released at the end of January and CBT Nuggets just finished their 70-698 videos. So to me that was saying something. Also reading the exam objectives 70-697 is clearly harder than 70-698 so i like to get the hardest exam out the way first.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• IAmATeafIAmATeaf Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took 698 first as it mainly focuses on win10 where's as 697 also has bits of Azure, o365 and intune which you really need to play around with and have a good understanding of before you can take the exam. I passed 698 but failed 697 which I'm hoping to retake next week while things are still fresh.
  • Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm also considering these two.
    Logically, you would install and implement (70-698 ) before you configure (70-697)... That's how other exam paths have been laid out
    However, as other posters have mentioned, there are more resources available for 697 but I guess that will change as time goes by?
    I'm tempted to try them in this order...
  • SmilymarcoSmilymarco Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took them both when they sent out the beta keys. 698 is the "real" desktop/Windows 10 exam, 697 is very heavy towards all the new online stuff (azure and so on). Go for the 698 first.
  • ber1986ber1986 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Personally I decided to do 697 1st then 698 I felt 698 will be easier to study for since it deals with windows desktop etc. the 697 is harder cause alot of the information is newer. I been around windows for 22 years now and this 697 is no joke.
  • NicoloNicolo Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for your pieces of advice guys ! appreciated them.
    I decided to do the Windows 10 first and then I'm gonna gun for the 697 !

For those who've already passed the 698 , I have a question.

I think the exam topics are not utterly disclosed in the official MS link , are they ?

I'm gonna quote directly from that :
    • Prepare for installation requirements
      • Determine hardware requirements and compatibility; choose between an upgrade and a clean installation; determine appropriate editions according to device type; determine requirements for particular features, such as Hyper-V, Cortana, Miracast, Virtual Smart Cards, and Secure Boot; determine and create appropriate installation media
    • Install Windows
      • Perform clean installations, upgrade using Windows Update, upgrade using installation media, configure native boot scenarios, migrate from previous versions of Windows, install to virtual hard disk (VHD), boot from VHD, install on bootable USB, install additional Windows features, configure Windows for additional regional and language support

There's no mention of "Creating a reference Image" and "Deploy Windows 10" as it was for the 70-680 Exam (which I took and passed a month ago).

so the question is : do I need to know , for the exam , those topic ? I mean all the dism, WDS, WinPE, etc etc stuff ?

thanks in advance.
  • Boris6782Boris6782 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, topics such as dism and wicd are part of the exam. Also have a decent grasp of the command line and powershell, gpo policy, ad etc.