OSCP vs ECCPT

vynxvynx Member Posts: 153 ■■□□□□□□□□
Dear All,

someone can give comparison between OSCP vs ECCPT ?
which one more valuable or more job in the market ?

Comments

• BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe there is a good comparison already in this forum section.
  • vynxvynx Member Posts: 153 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Blucodex wrote: »
    I believe there is a good comparison already in this forum section.

can you give me the link which one that you mean?
  • airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    Just search for other eCPPT threads and a lot will talk about OSCP in them. But I'll give you my quick two cents as I've taken both courses and attempted both exams.

The courses each have their own approach to practice. OSCP gives you access to an open lab where you just have to Try Harder to figure out boxes and try as many techniques and tools as you can to gain access. It's definitely a fun experience and you learn A LOT. eCPPT goes a bit more hand holding route where their labs are very focused on a specific topic and if you are not able to figure it out, there is a guide to walk you through it. Each one shows you a lot of tools and teaches you a lot. Personally I felt I learned more from the OSCP labs rather then eLearnSecurity's Hera lab. However, both teach you the basics.

As for the exams, that's where the biggest difference is. eCCPT is a lot more like a real life pen test, where you get a week to complete the objective. It's plenty of time but you need to ensure you meet all the objectives given to you. They seem to be very strict on the report as they want it to be the quality of a real world experience, so you have to be through. Everything you need to know is covered in the course and you shouldn't have much problem as long as you studied and knew all the labs.

OSCP is definitely more of a challenge as it's all done in a 24 hour period, with another 24 hours to write the report. I wouldn't say it's much "harder" then eCPPT, but it definitely feels like it because it's such a time crunch. You will most likely need to do more research as well since OffSec believes in self research type learning and you may see something new int he exam that you will need to research in order to exploit.

Overall their both great courses and exams and well worth the money. OSCP is more recognized in the job market, but is also a big leap for something learning. If you have the time and money, I would suggest going eJPT -> eCPPT -> OSCP. That way it's a bit more gradual and you absorb more knowledge. If your on a budget and more of a time crunch, just go for the OSCP.
    airzero wrote: »
    Just search for other eCPPT threads and a lot will talk about OSCP in them. But I'll give you my quick two cents as I've taken both courses and attempted both exams.

The courses each have their own approach to practice. OSCP gives you access to an open lab where you just have to Try Harder to figure out boxes and try as many techniques and tools as you can to gain access. It's definitely a fun experience and you learn A LOT. eCPPT goes a bit more hand holding route where their labs are very focused on a specific topic and if you are not able to figure it out, there is a guide to walk you through it. Each one shows you a lot of tools and teaches you a lot. Personally I felt I learned more from the OSCP labs rather then eLearnSecurity's Hera lab. However, both teach you the basics.

As for the exams, that's where the biggest difference is. eCCPT is a lot more like a real life pen test, where you get a week to complete the objective. It's plenty of time but you need to ensure you meet all the objectives given to you. They seem to be very strict on the report as they want it to be the quality of a real world experience, so you have to be through. Everything you need to know is covered in the course and you shouldn't have much problem as long as you studied and knew all the labs.

OSCP is definitely more of a challenge as it's all done in a 24 hour period, with another 24 hours to write the report. I wouldn't say it's much "harder" then eCPPT, but it definitely feels like it because it's such a time crunch. You will most likely need to do more research as well since OffSec believes in self research type learning and you may see something new int he exam that you will need to research in order to exploit.

Overall their both great courses and exams and well worth the money. OSCP is more recognized in the job market, but is also a big leap for something learning. If you have the time and money, I would suggest going eJPT -> eCPPT -> OSCP. That way it's a bit more gradual and you absorb more knowledge. If your on a budget and more of a time crunch, just go for the OSCP.

thanks for the information,
    you mean eCPPT more detail and teach more about reporting ?
  • airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    I wouldnt say that, it just goes about it slightly different. But it does make you work a bit more for the report as there is no template like OSCP.
    airzero wrote: »
    I wouldnt say that, it just goes about it slightly different. But it does make you work a bit more for the report as there is no template like OSCP.

you mean OSCP will provide template for reporting ?
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    OSCP will show you a basic template and will expect one to be turned in with the final exam.

You will learn how to write a report in OSCP. It isn't the best way and you'll have to teach it to yourself a bit, but they are used.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This book may be of interest to you: https://www.apress.com/la/book/9781484222829

I'm reading it now. It's available on Skillsoft, and my office is paying for it. I know about 50% of the material, but the rest is great for filling in the gaps.
    tedjames wrote: »
    This book may be of interest to you: https://www.apress.com/la/book/9781484222829

I'm reading it now. It's available on Skillsoft, and my office is paying for it. I know about 50% of the material, but the rest is great for filling in the gaps.

thanks for your advise, it really need to consider
  • supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One thing that is not really discussed with some of these post is the following: Do you work well against a deadline? With the eCPPT, if you get the elite (which is the same price as OSCP 60 day lab access) you have unlimited time to do the course, 120 lab time (which is easy to not use a lot) and the date of the test is up to you. So if your life is crazy busy right now and you have a little time to focus on it but wanna learn the eCPPT is good for you. If you work well with a timed deadline or it cost you more money, then the OSCP is for you.

Other questions to consider: If you want to figure out mostly on your own, the OSCP. If you want to have a phased approach to the material, eCPPT. OSCP is highly recognized. eLearn is getting there, they are spending good money this time to go Blackhat so I am assuming they are really pushing for some recognition.
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm wrapping up the eCPPT now and I can say that doing other eLearn courses that the exams are a lot more open-ended. Can't comment on the OSCP since I have not taken it but it is on my list to complete this year.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • infosec123infosec123 Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you work well against a deadline? With the eCPPT, if you get the elite (which is the same price as OSCP 60 day lab access) you have unlimited time to do the course, 120 lab time (which is easy to not use a lot) and the date of the test is up to you.

Maybe I am blind, maybe I am stupid, maybe both, but I do not see the option for the eCPPT elite anywhere on elearn's site. Could you point it out?
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Dr. FluxxDr. Fluxx Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WOW 2 YEARS?
    Thats more than generous!